Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

When is a bodge not a bodge

Sid

When is a bodge not a bodge

Post by Sid »

When is a bodge not a bodge. Well back in the late 60's - early 70's as a REME mechanic, the answer was when it's a "Field Modification".
With only 54 miles of driving and a few hours of ticking over my LD10 conked out ( on a busy roundabout) with the CB points being pitted and pointed. A new condenser was required. So while I was taking the old one out, the black plastic insulator (the one that carries the steel arms to the condenser and the moving CB point, and also the wire from the coil) just collapsed into three pieces. Talk about "for want of a nail...etc". I came up with the idea of using a piece of Lego as a mold for a mixture of chemical metal which I then carved, drilled, filed and swore into shape. Surprise surprise it worked, although for how long I wouldn't like to guess. I get the feeling it'll crack at some point but at least for now the cars back on the road. If anyone else has had this problem, how did you solve it, or if you haven't, how would you solve it.
Now where can I get a new one?
Sid REME rtd.

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: When is a bodge not a bodge

Post by Christopher Storey »

Sid : the Distributor Doctor - in the West Country - is a wonderful and very knowledgeable source of supply for old Lucas stuff

Sid

Re: When is a bodge not a bodge

Post by Sid »

Thanks Christopher I'll check them out.