Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SU carburettors

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

SU carburettors

Post by Sydsmith »

Recently there have been a couple of listings on fleabay of SU HV4 carburettors, in both cases pairs by different sellers.

In both cases they are described as down draft.

I have always thought of SU carburettors as side draft, am I wrong or are there two types of HV4, down and side draft?

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Re: SU carburettors

Post by A.N.Other »

Could it be that the impression of down draft is thought due to the inclined angle of the carburettors on the Daimler engine.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

You are correct, they are side draught carbs.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Thanks both, thought I had missed something.

My 15 has had a Solex down draft fitted at some time which I have had trouble setting up. I have bought a replacement HV4 side draft which I have refurbished and was wondering before I fit it and tweak the controls if I had the right carb.

Hence the question. Syd

Bob Frisby

Post by Bob Frisby »

Gentlemen,

My understanding is that the "H" in our ordinary S.U. carb models (H2, HS4, etc.) stands for "horizontal", i.e. sidedraft.
Oddly, I have seen setups referred to as "semi-downdraft" where H-series carbs were used, tilted at a slight angle from horizontal!

I've heard of "vertical" or downdraft S.U.s, and thought they were designated "V". Possibly used in non-standard applications such as military vehicles. I don't know what to make of "HV" carbs. Hope someone follow up with more info, Id love to learn more.

Bob Frisby
Boise, Idaho USA
DB18 & DF302 Empresses

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

S.U. certainly produced downdraft as well as sidedraft carburettors......
17a861df4286b9f4-490ff986d54bc0b9DSC02737.JPG
In this case the piston return was with spring assistance only since gravity was not going to help.

This catalogue gives an idea of the wide range of S.U. carburettors produced.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Nice picture "Mr O'Plinth" something I have never seen before, you learn something every day.

Bullens http://burlen.co.uk/?___store=default are of course the font of all knowledge on SU and many other Carbs, there is a load of interesting reading on their site, too much to report here, but a quick read did not show anything about H for Horizontal and V for vertical, certainly the HV4 I have is a side draft so perhaps that is a red herring? Nice try though.

When I was doing research for the right Carb for my 15, I did not find it easy to identify the correct item, but Dave Bennett (Capt Bobo) kindly chipped in and between us we sorted what appears to be the correct type, but we shall see when it is fitted.

Sadly HV4's were used on Bentley and Alvis cars in pairs and in singles on some 15's so they rarely come up in singles.