Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Leather seat restoration

Steven Hunt

Leather seat restoration

Post by Steven Hunt »

Hi

I am in a dilemma as to whether to strip back, repair, re dye my existing seats to my 1966 V8 2.5 or whether to go for a trim replacement via John Skinner and get someone to fit them. My front passenger seat has two tears only and the rear seats are not torn but they have all been resprayed and I think that they should either be stripped back and brought back to maintain the original leather and patina, or just replaced, but I am concerned about having a too-new look. Does anyone have any advice and recommendations where to have either work done, preferably in south of England near Portsmouth or Poole as I will have to bring it over from Jersey. Thanks.

PatrickDixon

Re: Leather seat restoration

Post by PatrickDixon »

I bought a kit from furniture clinic and repaired and resprayed my seats. Some splits and holes but they came up OK. I think if you are going to get them recovered you end up buying new foam etc and it starts to cost a lot.

If you go the DIY route I recommend you buy a cheap compressor to spray the colour as the compressed air cans are pretty rubbish.

Keith Ashworth

Re: Leather seat restoration

Post by Keith Ashworth »

Steven,
If your colour is a common one, I have in the past seen if I can obtain a squab or seat from some going for complete retrim and seeing if your upholsterer can redeem some of the leather and use it. Alternatively someone may be wrecking a car with the same colour trim.
That should keep costs down too and keep the patina.
Keith