Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Woodwork

Roark

Woodwork

Post by Roark »

I will have to have the dashboard, dashboard top rail and a couple of other parts re-veneered. I note that the dashboard face is walnut but the top rail is of another wood altogether. This seems to be the case with the door capping. Walnut on the vertical and another wood on the top. Does anyone have an idea of what this wood is please?

terryfrombury

Re: Woodwork

Post by terryfrombury »

Sorry, I have no idea, but I`d just say that if you are having the pieces re-veneered professionally, then the person doing it should be able to recognise what it is or suggest something so similar that you won`t tell the difference. At least the guy who did mine did!
Cheers
TerryfromBury

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

You do not mention what car this is on, but if it anything like the later cars from the Jaguar era, the door and other cappings are not in fact veneered but solid hardwood, and will refinish well with just stripping, sanding down and refinishing with e.g. french polish . The veneers, as you have observed, are reserved for the vertical items, presumably because they get less sun damage than the horizontal cappings

Bud

Post by Bud »

H-m-m-m-m, no veneers on horizontal or sun exposed surfaces. Could what you have suffered from delamination and a previous owner just finished the base wood? Probably the easiest thing to do in situ.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Chris is right - often the door capping is solid hardwood, with a vertical veneered inlay. You should have no problem identifying the wood if you go to a hardwood stockist, although of course that is not necessary as you lacquer directly onto the hardwood.

I say lacquer because contrary to popular belief, most wood finishes on cars was not french polished but were gloss lacquered - which can be obtained from Morrell's Wood Finishes Direct (tel: 01303 213838) - and you can buy it in aerosol form for D.I.Y. I did my car, and obtained a glass-like finish.

However, it is all in the preparation. Use garnet finishing paper and 0000 grade wire wool to prepare the finish - before applying the clear primer, then apply four or five thin coats of clear gloss lacquer. After allowing a week to cure, then flat very carefully with 2000 grit paper used wet with just a tinge of Fairy liquid in the water - then finally polish with a good quality car polish such as Autogylm ultra deep shine.

If you are doing the dash, remember the veneer is "mirrored" which is two sheets of veneer cut from the same log with the join in the middle laid and the sheets laid one to the left and one right. apply the veneer with traditional white woodwork glue, not 'orrible contact adhesive.

Morrells give detailed advice on the net - Oh and one final tip - don't apply too many coats as it may well develop cracks as it settles after a few months of temperature fluctuation.

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
If you do not want or do not feel confident doing it your self then it may be worth while looking out a good antique furniture restorer. They can usually identify wood and have a selection of various veneers to match missing or damaged pieces. They may be able to laquer as well.
Regards

Colin

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

This is interesting. I hadn't considered that the top surface was merely the capping polished and lacquered when I had the woodwork in my car done.

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

You can, generally speaking, always tell if the horizontal capping - secured usually by countersunk screws and bezels - is plain hardwood from the fact that if so, it is straight grained . I have 3 "wooden" Jaguar era cars and every horizontal surface except the dashboard top rails is plain hardwood

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

I think that is the norm - exactly as I would describe my Daimler.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Stan as always your wise advice is very welcome.

My V8 250 has a problem with the woodwork in that the finish has sort of reacted in some way. It looks like the finish has sort of congealed and rucked up in sort of whirls all over the dash panels. ( it has of course a vinyl dash capping)

I wrongly thought the dash was french polish and though I have successfully done some french polishing in the past on small areas, I have threatened to tackle this since I bought the car 7 years ago, but have put it off time and time again in case I make matters worse.

Is it in your opinion a reasonable DIY job for some one with reasonable restoration skills?