Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Ash frame work

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Roark

Ash frame work

Post by Roark »

The A frame behind the bulkhead on my car is rotted in the nearside where it meets the scuttle. I have someone who can replace the woodwork if given patterns and he has recommended someone who will be able to remove the old wood work. The bodywork will need to be "opened" where it wraps around the frame and I don't feel at all confident to do that.
I had sent both the woodwork chap and the repairer photos and the quote for the removal work has come back at about 40 hours work. Even with my limited knowledge I wonder where the time will go. The wood work chap suggests that the windscreen will have to be removed and that will take time but will it really be 40 hours?

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Ash frame work

Post by Sydsmith »

John, I did this job on an Austin many years ago and it is a horror, not at all easy. Part time it took me several weeks and not a job I would ever like to tackle again.

I had only basic wood working machinery but good metal working tools.

Cutting open the frame to remove the old timber then making the new woodwork to fit is very time consuming, as are the repairs to the metal work, not to mention the welding problems when you put it all back in place.

Very labour intensive and not a job to rush, I would not like to guess the time a professional restorer would take but I would not be surprised if it were 30-40 hours

Roark

Re: Ash frame work

Post by Roark »

Thank you Syd.

That does reassure me that the price is reasonable, given the amount of work required. I cannot leave the car in its current state, I ant to rebuild it without the regret of wishing I had done something or other.