Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 Original Pressed Wheels

silverdart

Re: SP250 Original Pressed Wheels

Post by silverdart »

David S, As stated previously, My first Dart was blue. This was a 1961 B spec.

In Brian Long's book, the 1961 body colour options included mountain blue.

Dave.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Phillmore wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:57 pm Just wondering, what is the distinction between 'standard' and 'original'?
Like most manufacturers of the era - and today come to that - The SP was offered in a range of 'standard' colours. In 1959 these were Jet Black, Royal Red, Racing Green and Ivory. In 1960 the range expanded to include Mountain Blue. Most cars would have left the factory in one of these colours.

Possibly Daimler, but certainly Jaguar after the takeover, would supply cars in a wider range of colours at a customers request. My 1963 car and at least one other were supplied new to Stratstones in London finished in Jaguar Indigo Blue. This was the cars 'original' colour but not probably a 'standard' one.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

daimlernorm

Post by daimlernorm »

O.K many thanks to everyone for the responses, I have decided to do them cream,
I like the colour and more importantly so does my wife, the other issue now is do I get them
Powder Coated or Stove Enamelled, the chap I spoke to today thinks Powder Coating is the best option.
He says it is more hard wearing won't chip and he will be using Zinc Primer to seal against corrosion.
So was wondering what any forum members thoughts are on either option.
Cheers
Norm

smithgor

Post by smithgor »

Vortex O'Plinth wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:44 pm
Phillmore wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 6:57 pm Just wondering, what is the distinction between 'standard' and 'original'?
My 1963 car and at least one other were supplied new to Stratstones in London finished in Jaguar Indigo Blue.
My 1963 SP250 also supplied through Stratstones, colour Jag Indigo Blue.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

smithgor wrote: Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:02 pm My 1963 SP250 also supplied through Stratstones, colour Jag Indigo Blue.
I guess they went as a pair then Gordon - my car is Chassis No. 104297 and yours 104298.
Nick

David S

Post by David S »

Well, it seems original and standard is now well explained. I thought Mountain Blue was the only original Blue colour and Mountain Blue is not dark. But I stand corrected.
I thought only the very last cars were painted any colour to order but was aware that some were done to special order, like mine, which was silver when new and sold in Jersey, now it is Dark Blue.
I believe the primer would be very important on powder coated wheels - I had mine powder coated and they showed spots of rust within months of being done. This is why they are in the garage loft! I'm running on 5 1/2 J Minilites at present with 175/70x15 Michelin tyres.

I don't want to get my original wheels stripped and re-done but I might get them shod with some 165x15 tyres as they are: Thanks Nick, for the tip on tubeless tyres.

David

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

You can purchase a crack testing kit from most welding suppliers, consists of two spray cans, magnetic dye and developer, spray on the dye then developer, crack shows as a dark grey line.
Wheel colours are probably moot, with full Acer trims the wheels could be any colour mine were Matt black on a dark silver car nearest colour match was Rolls Royce Tudor metalic grey, some MM's used this colour, .Old English White cars generally had body coloured wheels especially if hub caps were only supplied and I suspect the body coloured wheels were mostly supplied with hub cap only cars and later owners fitted the Acer trims
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

daimlernorm

Post by daimlernorm »

Thanks for all the responses, can anybody offer the best option regarding getting them finished,
I can get them powder coated of stove enamelled or are there any other options I could follow.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated just want to get them looking as good as possible.
Thanks Again
Norm

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

AS with MG and other BMC makes..Daimler/Jaguar the range for body colors extends well beyond those in the sales brochures.. 'special order cars' could be had in color of choice.. as for wheels.. most 'bolt on' wheels were painted in body color on the SP 250 as was common Jaguar practice..but not all of them..the most common default was 'silver' .
Does anyone know if the SP250 wheels (bolt on type) are the same as those used on the big healeys ?.. those were almost always painted silver.. I believe the spline drive ones are different as the SP used the 42MM hubs V 52MM for Jaguar..

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

tjt77 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:42 pm Does anyone know if the SP250 wheels (bolt on type) are the same as those used on the big healeys ?.. those were almost always painted silver.. I believe the spline drive ones are different as the SP used the 42MM hubs V 52MM for Jaguar..
Big Healeys on pressed steel wheels utilised a 5-stud hub, so not the same as the SP. The Healey wire wheel splined hub is 42mm, the same as the SP and also the Triumph TR2,3,4,5 and 6.
Nick