Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Side lamp LED's

Bud

Side lamp LED's

Post by Bud »

Just got in the two samples of LED's I suggested. And there is no comparison to the standard torch light bulb and the newer LED's. LED's provide light whereas the std bulb provides glow and ambiance. But the 4 led bulb is by far the better of the two LED's.

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... r-bulbs/6/

Bright white vs candle glow. For the $2.00 per no doubt a major improvement in visibility and now that they are mass producing these lamps as a complete unit as well as the seat gasket from Triumph and India etc. you can replace your deteriorated rubber seat without fear of destroying the original.

klindsell

Re: Side lamp LED's

Post by klindsell »

Is it the 4 LED - BA9s Bulb - Cool White 90 Degree 12V? Are you going to post a picture?

Bud

Post by Bud »

Yes on the 4 led configuration at 90 degrees, no on the pix just info at the websites, hope it helps.

SteveW62

Post by SteveW62 »

The link in this thread doesn't work.

here's the link Bud means ( Copied from his other thread ) https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinf ... s/6/10551/

Ian Hastings

Post by Ian Hastings »

Steve that link is to an American site which is fine but they charge 18$ for delivery to UK which is a bit steep.

Search for BA9s leds on ebay and you will find hundreds from 99p with free postage :lol:

flying_fox

Post by flying_fox »

Hello,
Here in the UK be aware that all LED lamps MUST BE "Warm White " this ensures they are NOT blue these are prohiberted in all lamps other
than in emergency types
The colour is measurd in degrees Kelvin the warm white term will aviod the need to understand this new measure
now with the changes to the MOT rules the owner can be at risk of a penalty --- it is a fail in a MOT as well

Barrie

Post by Barrie »

Noted but what is 'warm white'
Lights are measured by their temperature.
For example 4000k (Kelvin) is the harsh bright white light you see in most modern shops.
Both 2700k and 3000k I have seen described as 'warm white' with 2700 giving off the yellowish glow that we got from the old domestic tungsten bulbs.
So what should we be looking for to avoid penalty?
The auto led bulbs I've bought to date make no mention of their temperature but at a guess would be 4000k or more.

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

my question would be :- what is the point ? the 'pros' are that LEDs provide more light output per W of power consumed and we are told they 'last longer'.. the cons are that they cost considerably more and the relaibailty (i.e. ..will they actually last 10 times longer ?) has yet to be proven.. I went to household LED's a decade or so back when they first came on the market and most of them failed faster then either incandescents or fluorescents.. some lasted less than 30 days ...which negated the whole reason for using them and wasted money.
there are downsides to LEDs in older cars as well.. if you fit them to the turn signal circuit it will mess the whole deal up, due to insuficient resistance to operate the bi metal strip that times the on/off cycle .. I often pull out working sidelamp bulbs that are 60- 70 yrs old and still function perfectly.. same with those that illuminate the dashboard..replacement cost .. about $1.10 per bulb...
can someone outline the actual 'practical' common sense advantages of going over to LED bulbs in our cars please ?

flying_fox

Post by flying_fox »

Very surprised at the query,
I used "Warm White" as an expression to avoid the Kelvin measuremant detail
a fine piece of work but not a quick or simple measurment yet steer the purchaser away from many
LED items that are too near BLUE a fact avioded by "specifications" incresingly published in the "cheaper" market.

I did not mention MR Watt the original side lamps consume power -thus heat - thus the small front lens
becomes obscure thus lower visabilty to the observe a potential fail - here in uk at least
the led even "Warm White" will not -
I thought I was being helpful - I must keep heat light and sound to myself