Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP 250 Cylinder Head Removal

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

SP 250 Cylinder Head Removal

Post by Culbu »

Good evening,

I removed the 2 cylinder heads from a 1962 SP250. Was it normal that first I have to remove all the cylinder head studs ? Without removing them, it was impossible to get the cylinder heads out. They came in contact with the engine bay sides !!

The reason why I ask this question is the fact that I will meet the same problem to get them in !! It's like if I have to put the cylinder head on the gasket and then screw the studs in !! It's not logical...

A last question. What kind of grease should I use on the both sides of the cylinder head gasket ? The Service Manual does not precise the kind of grease to use...

Thank you for your help.

Julian

russcarpenter

Re: SP 250 Cylinder Head Removal

Post by russcarpenter »

yes

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Culbu »

Yes what ?!?

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Precisely because of this problem, many SP engines have been retrofitted with the bolts used on the saloon engines in place of the studs.

Daimler did not recommend the use of any grease on the cylinder head gaskets.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

silverdart

Post by silverdart »

Hi Julian,
From memory, if you remove the exhaust manifolds first, you should be able to withdraw the cylinder heads without removing the studs.

Dave.

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

Agree with Dave (silverdart)
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Culbu »

Thank you Guys for your answers. I have to work now !

Julian

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Culbu »

Every one agrees with the fact that no grease is necessary on the both cylinder head gasket sides ? The Daimler SP250 Service Manual that I own advices to use grease...

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

unsure it its available in Uk.. but Ive found the most effective method to ensure a good seal of the head gaskets (a assuming everything is to factory specs .. and all squeaky clean) is to apply K&W 'coppercoat' sealer from an aerosol can to both sides of the head gasket.. hang the gasket vertically on a wire support and evenly spray both sides..then allow a few minutes for its to dry before placing in position on the cylinder block..( the ferrules on the 2 centre holes will keep it in position) also ..be aware that the 'daimler/jaguar' brand gaskets are better quality than the aftermarket ones..the position of the holes is more accurate for one thing.. most major suppliers carry the original branded ones.. heads should come off the SP with studs in place provided exhaust manifolds are removed first.. removing the hardware from the engine mounts and jacking the engine up a little helps clearance..
BTW..stuck ferrules :- insert a suitably sized deep socket into the ferrule to prevent if from crushing (must be a tight fit) and then grip the ferrule with vice grips and carefully move it back and forth applying penetrant, until it breaks loose.. be careful not to let the vice grips touch the joining face, if the ferrule is stuck in the cylinder head, which they often do.. they can be cleaned up on the outer surface by placing same socket in the ferrule and carefully spinning on a belt sander to take the rough edges off..

faeton

Post by faeton »

I would be concerned about using coppercoat . Copper and aluminium can react badly which could result in damage to the heads , {dissimilar metals} . As a marine engineer I have seen a lot of damage caused by action of mixed materials , copper based anti foulings on aluminium outdrive legs being a prime example , Another material I am always careful to use is anything containing graphite, Graphite is very high on the Galvanic scale and can damage lower scale materials.ie Aluminium Brass , Bronze even stainless steel.
If the surfaces are not perfect I find Wellseal good non hardening and makes a good seal .

Dave SP250