Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP 250 Cylinder Head Removal

silverdart

Re: SP 250 Cylinder Head Removal

Post by silverdart »

I always use Hylomar gasket 2000.
A small bead around each aperture.
I have never had a failure yet in 30 years.

Dave.

Jez

Post by Jez »

I had a recommendation to use a thin coat of WellSeal, which is a bit messy to apply but seems to have worked a treat. Of course, I don't know if it would have been ok without the sealant, but certainly no issues with it.

One plus for it is that it doesn't set in the same way as regular blue Hylomar and therefore any excess won't block any oilways etc.

Cheers - Jez
Jez Stow
1960 Daimler Dart
and a few other toys

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

I’ve always used EP2 grease with never a problem.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Culbu »

Thank you guys for all these answers !

It seems there are as tricks as mechanics ! My Daimler SP250 Service Manual recommends to use grease. I have EP2 grease at the workshop. The Bigcol's solution seems to be the easiest ones for me.

Thanks

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

reply to Dave:- Im unsure of the actual copper content in 'coppercoat' gasket sealer, but have been using it for over 30 yrs on alloy headed/iron block engines and all alloy engines with no negative effects so far .. but am well aware that corrosion in the water passages in the head, between head and block is by far the most common cause of head gasket failure on the turner V8s.. it is my belief this is directly due to electrolytic action made worse by contaminated coolant (mixed with excessively low or high PH water) and lack of sufficient coolant changes over the years..
The beauty of aerosol sealant's is that its very easy to get a thin but consistently even film applied ..S&W 'coppercoat' is a very high quality sealer.. when I worked on RR 'dart' turbo prop engines decades ago, the sealant for the main joint faces was 'hylomar', (and 'silcoset' on the burner housings.. similar to todays 'Ultra grey' silicone gasket maker) which was applied by a brush with bristles cut back and 'stippled' on to both mating surfaces in a very thin but even coat.. I used same standards and method on my BSA motorcycle crankcases and rocker housings at the time .. and was one of the very few to have a brit motorcycle that did not leak oil.. ( today I use '3 bond 1152' , generic version of 'Yamabond' for motorcyccle crank cases.. works like a charm.. but disassembly is tricky as its REALLY sticks.. I sometimes use it on classic car gearbox case's that are prone to leak on joint twixt case and tail housing to very good effect.)