Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Sleeve valve engine sleeves.

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Sleeve valve engine sleeves.

Post by Stan Thomas »

Has anyone experience in having sleeve valve engine sleeves re-white metalled - or know of any reliable company or person which does white metalling?

I have it upon authority that the errosion which occurs around the exhaust ports can be "patched in" with fresh white metal, and then machined to size, as it was done some years ago - possibly by a company in the Coventry area - but so far I've drawn a blank regarding who they might be.

In the meantime, I'm still on the look-out to make up a spare set of sleeves for my 16/20 (or any derative with a 2648cc / 73.5mm bore engine) if anyone knows of any - even if I can only salvage the drive-collars.

I can then explore two avenues of either getting new ones made having already located a source for the tubing, or I can progress the possibility of reconditioning them by a firm in Germany using a heat-proof coating in lieu of white metal.

I will of course keep The Club fully informed and extend my research to all members.
Last edited by Stan Thomas on Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Re: Sleeve valve engine sleeves.

Post by A.N.Other »

I used JEL bearings of York. 01904 471166. for the white metalling needs on my pre war AC. They came highly recommend and I was very satisfied with them.
It may be worth having a chat with them.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Have spoken with them Collin - and although they are very knowledgable, they declined attempting a small "one-off job" such as I require not having done Daimler sleeves before.

Problem is, the sleeves were never intended to be re-metalled anyway as way back in 1930 they were only £1 12/6d each to replace!

The difficulty now is that whereas the originals were machined for the oiling groves etc. after white metalling the plain tube had been done first, any re-metalling now would require the white metal to be machined out of the oil grooves afterwards - although I believe I could make the tools do that.

Its just the application of the white metal coating that I need help with.

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

Sorry to hear they can’t help.
Have you tried David Beals? Even if he can’t help directly he may have the right contacts regarding white metalling and machining.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

You could try http://www.agra-eng.co.uk/services/clas ... ngineering
I was impressed by work they did for me. Ranald

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

There is this one at Coventry but not sure you can patch babbit

http://www.coventryboring.co.uk/metalling/4537933474

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

According to the series of articles in D.M. by the chap who rebuilt my engine in the mid eighties, he had the sleeves part re-metalled around the exhaust ports to stop the erswhile profusely smoking exhaust when he bought the car, and his records show that he had to straighten (?) a sleeve.

Since then the car has only done 1200 miles or so since then, and whilst it certainly does not smoke, it is down on power and I fear I still have a damaged sleeve(s) - hence my hope to get some sleeves prepared in readiness for when I dismantle the engine.

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Have you spoken with Marcel Renshaw? (contact details in the back of the DM)
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Yes Graham,

I've spoken to Marcel who has been more than helpful, and he put me onto Masons in London, but after a search they could not find any sleeves my size.

I'm now exploring CNC machining new sleeves - but still need some originals, even scrap ones to recover the drive collars.

I'll keep plugging away, as its far from "Ford Transit engine" time yet!!

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Stan, It’s worth looking in the archive list at the Science museum
https://collection.sciencemuseum.org.uk ... ine-valves
I doubt if this is exactly what you need but it gives an indication of what they have.
I mentioned Agra Engineering in Dundee. Did you try them? Jonathan Fyda runs it now but he will probably refer to his father on something like this. I think his name is John. regards Ranald