Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Lanchester 11 Temp Gauge

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Lanchester 11 Temp Gauge

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Chaps, having just had my Temperature Gauge fail to work for the Third time!!
on return from Speedograph, think it may be about time, I tried to either find a replacement Temp Gauge , or another company who can sort mine out .
Anybody got one out there please ? 😟😟😟😟

Cheers Al 😠😠😠

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Lanchester 11 Temp Gauge

Post by Db n j »

Al, unlucky mate .

So, that type of unit, and why has it failed ?

We had our capillary type done by Speedy cables down in the valleys, all very good and working well,

Good luck

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, yes this is the Third time they’ve had my Temp Gauge, the 1st time was a year ago, and they gave me a years warranty, Two weeks after the warranty ran out it failed!
They offered to repair it for free which was fine, it lasted about 5 miles before failing again !
Retuned it about 5 weeks ago, and it arrived back last Friday, after numerous calls , the usual reply was “ Its still on test “ .
Anyway, fitted Saturday morning and warmed the Engine, and eventually the Gauge started to move up towards thre 160 f
mark, I thought great, they’ve finally fixed it!
Turned off the Engine as I had to go out, and I took the Lanchester out later in the afternoon for a12 mile run, and the Needle never got off the stop!!
Phoned them this morning and the chap said he really couldn’t understand why it had stopped working again , so now back to square one again !!!
Maybe I should try another company?
Cheers A’l 😒😒
Last edited by JT7196 on Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

Alan, I take it you have a capillary gauge which are only really a pressure gauge on the end off ether filled bulb in the engine. There are many videos on google and U tube showing how to fix yourself. I bought a cheap EBay electric gauge as back up. I just wonder if there is wear on the gauge teeth that jump on vibration.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi John, don’t think that it’s wear , because it was working and then stopped, which probably indicated that the Ether was leaking .
I have contacted a local company that a friend recommended, so will try try them, I realise that I will have to pay again , but it’s costing me a fortune in postage at the moment!
I have looked at the modern ones on eBay, the only problem I can see at the mo is, they all have metric threads, and of course, the threads on my car will of course be Imperial .
May have to get another adaptor made 😀😀

Cheers Al :D

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

My gauge is digital with a thin wire (thermocouple) which goes under the radiator pipe jubilee clip, it wont be as accurate as not immersed but will show a change in temperature if there is a problem. Its only a backup.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, yes currently looking into that option, and may have a Metric adaptor made do that I can fit a temporary modern gauge while my original is either being repaired or replaced.
CheersAlj