Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler V8 250 1967 Suspension

pertonjohn

Daimler V8 250 1967 Suspension

Post by pertonjohn »

I have a Daimler V8 250 1967 model saloon and the car is 'listing' from n/side to o/side by approx. 1 1/4 ins.
I have replaced the rear springs and shocks so now wonder if the problem emanates at the front.
Can anyone tell me what the nominal ground to underside of wheel arch dimensions should be or probably more accurate the dimensions from the underside of wheel arch to centre of wheel hub at the front and rear.
Thanks

johnwager

Re: Daimler V8 250 1967 Suspension

Post by johnwager »

Hi John
I can't see anything in the workshop manual, but I've measured the height on my own car and blow me that is different from one side to the other!
Measured from ground to wheel arch,(as it's difficult to get the exact centre on the wheel spinner)
Front o/s 690mm, n/s 710mm
Rear o/s 570mm n/s 595mm
I've never noticed any list on my car but now I'm going to be looking. You've opened a can of worms!!!
John :roll: :D

pertonjohn

Post by pertonjohn »

Hello John, Thanks very much for your information, my dimensions are:-

Front o/s 705mm, n/s 737mm
Rear o/s 737mm, n/s 793mm

I think the reason my rear dimensions are greater than yours is possibly due to the fact I have recon springs and new shock absorbers on the rear. Since my original posting I have been investigating the o/side front suspension and by jacking it up so that the front is level, it has levelled up the rear (or almost). It is clear that I have to remove the o/side front coil spring and have a look.

Will post the outcome. I think if your o/side front was about 715mm (without driver) the rear would be near level too.
Regards John :roll:

KV8

Post by KV8 »

Hi

I have also thought my car had a slight list to the OS so am interested in this thread. This afternoon went for a 10 mile drive and on return measured my wheel arch heights.

I got:-

OSF 695mm NSF 720mm
OSR 600mm NSR 625mm

Interestingly the differentials OS to NF (25mm/1 inch) are of a very similar magnitude to the other posters. The absolute values are not important as they depend on tyre size fitted and even tyre wear.

I have always assumed that one will get a small list if driven immediately beforehand (as was my case) by a 14 stone driver. I will remeasure mine again tomorrow some 24 hrs after standing.

If the differentials are still the same then it would be interesting to see what they were after jacking up both front and rear OSF so the suspension "hangs" for 24 hours.

Alternatively driving round a large circular round-about for several hours or more interesting a clockwise oval likewise :D

H

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

Over time the springs 'settle'...generally on the passenger side as they take more abuse from potholes and other undulations in road surfaces that are generally in better condition near centre of road.. and springs 'drop' after a significant number of 'cycles'.. commonly the front springs tend to 'drop' before the rears..but not always..its almost always both springs on one side that cause the problem.. listing to one side is a common way to spot a high mileage car..

lioneleast

Post by lioneleast »

This subject came up in November 2016 and I found that the RHS of my car was 15 mm low after 102k miles. I assumed this was because much of the mileage had been without passengers. However it could be caused by the torque in the propeller shaft. The reaction on the engine & gearbox will press the RHS of the car down and lift the LHS. It would be very interesting to have measurement for LHS drive cars. Are they low on the LHS suggesting it is caused by driver weight or are they the same as RHS drive cars suggesting it is propeller shaft torque ?

Regards, Lionel

Bud

Post by Bud »

Lionel,

Which side of the car is the Battery located?
Which way is it listing?
Pretty big weight mass to be accounted for.
My '68 Olds 442 with new brand springs, bushings and shock absorbers listed to one side until I relocated the battery to the center of the boot/trunk.

lioneleast

Post by lioneleast »

The battery is on the RHS, but only about 18 inches off the centre line.

Regards,

Lionel