Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 engine block color

Zbigmak

SP250 engine block color

Post by Zbigmak »

Can anyone advise me what color were the SP250 V8 engine blocks originally painted. I am stripping the paint off my block and have found traces of both red and black paint.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: SP250 engine block color

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

The blocks were painted black. The interior surfaces were coated with a red finish designed to seal any porosity in the casting.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

The interior red paint is called glyptol

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

just to add.. yes black was the color on the cylinder block..the tappet chest and inlet manifold were also painted black, but this tends to come off over time as it was applied without much prep to the alloy and likely the least expensive black paint available was sourced for the job...
A highly convenient paint for the cylinder block is SEM 'self etching primer' in black that comes in a large aerosol can and can be sourced form most automotive paint suppliers.... this is a very forgiving paint that holds up well on almost every surface.. dries fast to a 'semi gloss' finish and is highly resistant to corrosion.. it is not very resistant to acetone or other harsh solvents (nor are most paints) Urethanes hold up better to acetone type solvents..but are harder to apply ( surface must be absolutely chemically clean) and take longer to dry..
Its wise to paint the inside of the cylinder block in a corrosion resistant red paint as well as per original.. I use 'rustolem' brand 'corrosion resistant' aerosols for this ..

Paulkennedy

Post by Paulkennedy »

I am confused, interior block surfaces, I am thinking cylinder bores, plainly this is not what is being referred to. So where are these interior surfaces.
Thanks Paul

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

Paulkennedy wrote: Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:05 am I am confused, interior block surfaces, I am thinking cylinder bores, plainly this is not what is being referred to. So where are these interior surfaces.
Not a Daimler engine...
glyptal.jpg
...but the principle applies.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Paulkennedy

Post by Paulkennedy »

Thanks Nick
Paul