Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Lanchester 18 track rod ends

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Lanchester 18 track rod ends

Post by ranald »

lanchester track rod end.JPG
Hello, My Lanchester 15/18 has been adapted at some time with a non Lanchester steering cross rod and track rod ends. Land Rover I think. Of course, I don't know why it was done but likely due to shortage of Lanchester spares.

Anyway, I've acquired a correct Lanchester 18 steering cross rod and a single track rod end (left hand thread), so I thought i'd have a go at finding either a pair of track rod ends or a right hand threaded one. The one/s i'm looking for were used on the Lanchester 18 (not 15/18 or E18). The singleton I have is marked '6755 BSA' although the 3rd number isn't so clear, it might not be 5, it could be 3. It is also marked 261463 which is the Lanchester 18 part number (TC72 and TC82) for the left hand side. The right hand side is 261462

The ball pin is 64.5mm long. The widest part of the taper is 17.7mm narrowing to 16.5mm. The thread length on the ball pin is 17.4mm, 9/16" diameter and 18tpi.

On the steering cross rod the threaded width is 7/8". 18TPI. Sorry I'm not able to identify the thread. The approx length of the track rod is 4.5"

I've tried my best with all these measurements but please allow a margin for my error!

Any thought on where I might look? I was at the Stoneleigh Restoration Show on Sunday and I met John Walker (Nottingham) who is looking into this for me. I have sent an enquiry to David Beales but otherwise i'm stuck. Derek Sleigh has never had 15/18 and 18 stuff. Thanks for reading this, Ranald