Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Axle ratio

mnha440

Axle ratio

Post by mnha440 »

My LA14/2 1939 model has a 5.25:1 axle fitted. I have a standard 5:1 spare, but I doubt it is worth changing for 5% difference. For modern road conditions I would like a ratio of around 4.3 or 4.5:1. I have found a gearcutter who will make me a cwp for an eye watering sum which is out of the question. I don't like re-inventing the wheel so thought that there might be some words of wisdom on the Forum! Any ideas? Mike.

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Re: Axle ratio

Post by classiclife »

Hello Mike,

Have you tried Guest Gear Services, or was that the company that made your eyes water ?? !!

If not, they are based in Chesham, Buckinghamshire via 01494.794.667

Best wishes.

Richard.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

FWIW if you go through with this to complete the job the speedo drive gear ratio will need changing too. The higher ratio rear axle implies the gearbox output shaft rotates at reduced RPM for the same road speed so the speedo drive ratio must be increased by the same factor,
In other words the speedo will indicate a lower speed than the car is actually travelling if the original speedo gear ratio remains unaltered. Just saying...!

mnha440

Post by mnha440 »

Thank you Richard you have "guest" it!

I am not too concerned by the speedo issue as an alternative pinion gear can be made relatively cheaply. I actually run with a sat nav so have an accurate read out anyway.

An overdrive is another way to go, I wonder if any one has experience of fitting one to this chassis or Daimler equivalent?

Mike.m

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Good morning Mike, I have just checked my Data Base and have been unable to find your Lanchester listed, would you be kind enough to send me the following details
Date of 1st Registration
Reg No
Chassis No
Eng No
Body type
Body / Int colours
Your contact details
Please send to:-
alan.wheatley63@gmail.com

Cheers Al ( DLOC Registrar )

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Mike, yes you are quite correct, I actually have it listed twice !! so need to get my listings updated !!

Cheers Al :D

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Just thinking aloud here Mike but I wonder if you will gain anything by changing the ratio.

My V8 250 manual overdrive achieves a higher speed in fourth than in overdrive. I have always presumed whilst engine rev's are reduced, the torque the engine produces is insufficient to drive the higher gear.

So if it is increased speed you want, I suspect you might not get what you want after a lot of work, if it is lower revs for a given speed, it would work of course.

I am not sure but I seem to recall some clever member of the old forum fitting an overdrive to a 30's Daimler, might be worth a search on the old forum. Syd

mnha440

Post by mnha440 »

Thanks Syd I will check out the old forum, haven't been there yet. I'm looking for lower revs at 45/50 mph Mike.

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

I have a friend who is fitting a Laycock overdrive to his 1934 Daimler 15.