Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DB18 Marles Steering Box

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

DB18 Marles Steering Box

Post by Culbu »

Hello every body,

The Marles steering box of "my" Daimler DB18 have to be overhauled.

Should I get the steering column and the steering box out from the car in one piece or it's possible to only remove the steering box ?

Any particular precautions must have been taken... ?

Kind regards,

Julian

terryfrombury

Re: DB18 Marles Steering Box

Post by terryfrombury »

Well, Julian, you are really testing my memory, so please don`t rely on my views alone, but I really don`t see the point of trying to separate the column and the box whilst it`s all in the car - even if that`s possible, and I`m not sure that it is. The column is fixed into the steering box, and whilst some Parts Books show that being done by a "grooved pin", I`m sure that there were two or three ways the joint was made secure, and to try to unsecure it with the box and column in situ is well-nigh impossible.
So you are in for a bit of a challenge. Steering wheel off, gear selector mechanism removed, drop arm removed (or at least the drag link disconnected). I think then that if you lift the front of the car sufficiently, you should be able to draw the box and column down and out below the front suspension.
At least, that`s my recollection - but I`m sure there are folk on here who have done it more recently than me (or who have better memories!!!).
Bon chance!
Terry

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

Julian, Terry is quite right. In situ strip of the steering box is neither desirable nor sensible, although it probably could be done. Removing the entire assembly is definitely the way to go and it’s much easier to overhaul the box on the workbench.
Steve

Soundmike

Post by Soundmike »

The most likely problem with these is the rocker shaft bushes. I have replaced these "in situ" . I did an article describing same for DLOCNZ magazine some years ago. I could look it out if you wish. Same can be done for Conquest....

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Culbu »

Good afternoon SoundMike,

If I can revolve the problem without remove the complete steering column, it's a very good news.

Your old article is welcome of course.

Kind regards,

Julian

Soundmike

Post by Soundmike »

Firstly, can you confirm that it is the rocker shaft bushes. do this by having someone rock the steering wheel while you look under the steering box. The bottom of the shaft and drop arm will be seen to move from side to side indicating wear in shaft and/or bushes. Also while you're under there, check for free play or lost motion in the idler in the centre of the cross member. I will go search for the article.....

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

Well, I hate to disagree with Soundmike who is probably a much better engineer than me, but unless you are an ace mechanic, then I personally would not attempt to work on the internals of the steering box in the car. As Steve says, it is much easier to work on the box on the bench.

It`s an interesting dilemma - to get the box out is not an easy job, but to rebuild it whilst it is out is a piece of cake to anyone with the most basic mechanical skills. To leave the box in situ is much easier - but to rebuild it in the car is a difficult job for the most skilled mechanic, in my opinion. The big hiccup is when one tries to do the work with the box in the car, and then finds that the problems are worse than anticipated - and you end up having to take it out anyway!
Terry

Soundmike

Post by Soundmike »

"IF" it is just the rockershaft bushes, it is easiest done in the car, if it is anything else, yes best to remove the box. With my Consort, all the wear was in the rockershaft and the idler bushes. I had the rocker shaft professionally machined and new bushes made, just needed a light ream after installation to fit. A new modern seal keeps the oil in.

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Culbu »

Thank you guys for all your advices.

If I think that the only problem comes from the bushes, I will begin to work with the steering box into the car. And then if I was wrong, I will remove the steering column in a second time.

Thanks again.

Julian