Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

tax free ?

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance
John Chatfield

tax free ?

Post by John Chatfield »

Greetings Ladys and Gentlemen,
Just a thought that some may like to toy with, I am just about to re tax my 1978 motorcycle which I thought would automaticlly become tax free at the end of the year as it is now eligable for the rolling 40 year relief. Hum, not so without me making an 'historic vehicle' declaration. now my thinking on this may well be way off the mark, but, if I do so where will this leave me if the government want to be their usual bunch of spoil sports and limit the amount of miles or radius from registered address an 'historic vehicle' can travel so as to reduce pollution etc. I may be better off running it as a usable regular taxed vehicle. this will apply to our cars also so what do you think?

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Re: tax free ?

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

If the vehicle is 40+ years old and VED exempt then it is most probably MoT exempt too. Without an alternative regular check the government would be unaware of the mileage travelled in a given period. If the distance travelled were to be limited to a finite radius from a registered address, this could presumably only be checked on a random basis when its age related plate might be spotted by police and given a PNC check. Given the already overstretched resources of our police forces, the implementation of such restrictions on age identified vehicles seems unlikely.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

John, as I understand it, most countries that have some form of historic vehicle relief scheme do so in order to reduce the work load and costs of vehicle taxation departments.

Given that is the case in the UK, is it likely they would introduce further complications in order to be mean, to raise revenue or put rocks in the road for classic vehicles?

However, should the powers to be look likely to go down this route, would not the work involved in enforcing mean regulations far out way the money raised? Beside there would be uproar from the classic vehicle movement.

My feeling about all this is that in the long life of the sort of vehicles we own a lot of road fund tax and fuel duty has been paid so like pensions they owe it to us to give us a free ride. After all, how many of us use classic vehicles for more than and few thousand miles a year, when we do, they typically use far more fuel per mile than moderns so we are paying a lot of fuel duty per mile. Syd

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Re: tax free

Post by A.N.Other »

John, I am just as big a cynic as the next man. Your theory has merit but let’s hope it will take a long time to pass.
If the notion was to be adopted then the policing may not be difficult in this day and age. It may just follow the speeding system in that number plate recognition (NPR) is used. If that was the case then only the genuine enthusiasts would be penalised. The social deviants would simply falsify things to cheat the system.
I do live in hope though that the cynicism within me is totally unfounded and I am wrong.
Let’s hope big brother isn’t watching over the forum looking for ideas such as you have floated.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Chaps, clarification required please..
I also own a 1976 motorbike ( Yamaha RS100) , on our monthly calendar my other half wrote a note saying that it’s annual MOT is due on January 16th 2019, I have checked the DVLA web site, and it’s telling me that the MOT has expired which in effect is true, as it’s last MOT was in Jan 2017
I only had it MOT’d as it had not been on the road for very many years, I obviously Taxed the bike on Jan 1st this year but according to DVLA the Road Tax is dure on Jan 1st 2020 ???
This has only just reared its ugly head,owing to my thread re Motobike Insurance which is also due 15 th Jan 2019 .
I’m confused, so do I need to both apply for Tax and an MOT ??

Cheers Al

Ps. Just a thought, does the fact that the DVLA has my Road Tax being due in Jan 2020 mean that it’s been automatically renewed ?

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

It may be that the first time you tax it you need to do it at an appropriate post office and fill in (or fill out ?) a V11D form .
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, signed the appropriate space on my Log Book and handed it to my local post office, so hopefully my Yam will soon be registered as historic. ( Just like it’s owner 😂😂😂😂)

Cheers Al 😂😂