Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Pre-select adjustment N. Wales

BigJAK

Pre-select adjustment N. Wales

Post by BigJAK »

Hi,
I have a 1956 CC with a preselect box and have tried to adjust the first rod but think I have made it worse.
I read the instructions online and asked about being able to feel detents on the gearbox end and March them to the positions on the selector but as I said think I have made it worse.
Is there anyone in North Wales that could come and help?
Thanks

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Pre-select adjustment N. Wales

Post by Stan Thomas »

There are no detents in the gearbox selector mechanism.

I think the best thing to do is give me a ring on 01785 713862 - and I'll talk you through the adjustment.

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

Just for the record and as an academic point there is a detent mechanism in these gearboxes. The struts each feature a rectangular lug which has to pass through a narrow slot machined into the brake gear mechanism. The gap between each slot had a plunger that moves to the left or right depending on which gear has been selected, thus preventing any other strut to pass through. It’s a very simple and effective arrangement, but there is no setting or adjustment for them...what you see is what you get. Just saying.
Steve

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

I'm afraid you've got it wrong Steve, and have confused the "double selection" protection mechanism as an detent.

To avoid the possibility of selecting two gears at once, there is the mechanism you describe - whereas, a detent mechanism (not present) would otherwise be to give a positive location of each gear as selected.

The external selector arm turns a skew gear which activates a camshaft which in turn advances and retracts the gear struts to the bus-bar face for selection and de-selection - and it is these struts which are subject to the safety mechanism you describe - but they do not locate or positvely identify the gear positions in respect of manually adjusting the external gear linkage as per BigJAK's inquiry - or indeed any of the various model gearboxes I've overhauled during the past 50 years or so.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/detent
Last edited by Stan Thomas on Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

I thought a detent was a mechanism that prevented an action unless allowed to. Semantics, I suppose.