Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Bill Cash's SP250

Hooper Daimlers & other pre-Jaguar post-war Daimlers sub-forum.
Cars in motoring holidays, racing, at functions like marriages, in museums, etc. Photos not applicable to technical, sale or event forums.
migray
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Bill Cash's SP250

Post by migray »

Came across this photograph when I rediscovered where I had hidden my engine gaskets earlier today.
The photo is from the Sunday Express magazine I think, probably early 90's. It is headed My Favourite Photograph by Bill Cash MP

Happy New Year to all

Mike
Attachments
IMAG1510.jpg

buckfield

Re: Bill Cash's SP250

Post by buckfield »

Hi, Good find there, great car as we know like the way he describes seeing his future wife's legs and was mesmerized by them. Good stuff!

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

I suppose the photo demonstrates the attitude of men towards women at the time. A misogynist's view. I doubt if Bill has changed much!

I had my Dart when I was a young man but I didn't think of asking a girlfriend to sprawl over the bonnet! Perhaps I missed a trick there, but I also wonder what a girl would have thought of me if I had. :shock: All girls I knew took absolutely no notice of the Dart; one said nothing while I drove at a recorded 134mph!

Note the yellow headlamps, all very correct. Also note the ring on her left hand's finger, how many people ask their wife to display in a sexy position in full view of passing traffic - especially in front of French men! I bet the bonnet (hood) got really hot climbing the Alps, I expect he made her burn her back all for the sake of a sexy photo!

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Christopher Storey »

a misogynistic view ??? That photograph is a photograph taken by a woman lover, not hater. Thank god there are still men who love women, or the human race would be in even deeper trouble than it is

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Perhaps I used the wrong term. I meant a man who treats a woman as a sex object in an old-fashioned way, not that he treated his wife badly. What's the word for that? Anti-feminist I suppose. It pre-supposes that he asked her to pose like that. Perhaps a true feminist would have objected!

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

A previous owner of my car once confided to me that he had discovered the bonnet of the Dart to be of an ideal profile for 'horizontal refreshment' with a member of the opposite sex. I fear that back problems have left me unable to verify this....... :( ;)
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

My thoughts were that it looks like a snap that catches a joyful relaxing peaceful time in a beautiful setting mid journey with love and romance in the air. Call me an old romantic but I can’t see where the subject has been cohorst in to doing the pose. Maybe I’m just not PC enough.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Big Col wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:58 pm My thoughts were that it looks like a snap that catches a joyful relaxing peaceful time in a beautiful setting mid journey with love and romance in the air. Call me an old romantic but I can’t see where the subject has been cohorst in to doing the pose. Maybe I’m just not PC enough.
A lovely pose, I think she's very pretty, but the pose is very exaggerated and unnatural, obviously he wanted an attractive and sexy photo of his fiance. Nothing wrong in that, but my three (modern young) nieces wouldn't pose like that! Feminism has been fighting against male sexy objectification of women for many years now.

However, I must admit I'm also one of the older generation like Bill, I'm a bit older, and to be true to myself I shouldn't have put forward the "modern" view. :oops:

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

John-B wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 7:18 am
Big Col wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:58 pm My thoughts were that it looks like a snap that catches a joyful relaxing peaceful time in a beautiful setting mid journey with love and romance in the air. Call me an old romantic but I can’t see where the subject has been cohorst in to doing the pose. Maybe I’m just not PC enough.
However, I must admit I'm also one of the older generation like Bill, I'm a bit older, and to be true to myself I shouldn't have put forward the "modern" view. :oops:
Honestly put John. The pressure from the PC brigade is oppressive and relentless but we must resist ;) .
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster