Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

EL24 Rad

ron.rsp

EL24 Rad

Post by ron.rsp »

Would be pleased if I could have some advice re this, I have had rad recored and about to try and put back
together again. I have attached some pics, should the connecting pipe fit flush with the aperture on the
tank or should there be some other fitment to make correct. The two flanges which I think belong to the
set-up have holes which do not match with the rest of the fittings! any advice would be great.

Ron.
Attachments
Rad 1
Rad 1
Rad 2
Rad 2
Rad 3
Rad 3

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: EL24 Rad

Post by marchesmark »

Ron,

I'm away from home at the moment, but will have a look at mine when I get home on Friday and let you know, unless someone else can help in the meantime.

Mark

ron.rsp

Post by ron.rsp »

Thank you Mark.

Ron.

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

Ron,

It look to me as if the 2 gaskets you have are from something else. On my car the top pipe and thermostat housing are fixed directly to the rad. Does your thermostat housing fit over the 4 bolts shown? If so I think you probably only need a simple gasket between them, and there appears to be a cork gasket fitted. Photos below might be of use.

Mark
Attachments
016.JPG
015.JPG
013.JPG
012.JPG

ron.rsp

Post by ron.rsp »

Thank you for this Mark very helpful, the thermostat housing does fit over the four bolts and I have made
new cork gasket so good flush fit should be just fine.

Ron

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Ron,
Be VERY careful replacing the thermostat housing to the rad. It's made of cast iron and the rad is thin copper............................

Tighten the nuts like doing a cylinder head. Bit at a time, corner to corner.

Only tighten until you get a seal (use a bit of blue Hylomar). It's not holding the Queen Victoria keel on..............................

Cheers
Neil
(speaking from a BAD experience.......................) :o
Normal for Norfolk

ron.rsp

Post by ron.rsp »

Thank you for this good advice Neil, always best to listen to someone who has done the job!

Ron.