Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Engine woes. ! !

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Engine woes. ! !

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Ranald, the Thermostat Housing, is mounted on the Radiator Header Tank and connects directly onto the Top Hose.
I’ll go take a picture for you😀
It was Bl ... dy cold out there !😨😨
Thermostat Housing
Thermostat Housing
Cheers A’l 😊

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Al, I see. Thanks. What temperature does it open at? My car doesn't have a thermostat and i'm thinking about installing one, so any guidance is useful. All the best, Ranald

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Ranald, as far as I can remember, it’s a 72 deg Thermostat, and yes you should have one fitted, not good for an engine to run cold. 🥶

cheers A’l

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Thanks Al.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi Chaps, Engine woes are continuing I’m afraid, I had noticed that the Engine was not as quiet as I expected, having done approx 100 miles over the last Two or Three weeks, yesterday, I embarked on short trip to Ilchester ( approx 5 miles away) ,just for a quick run, on my way back out of the village my mobile phone rang so I pulled into a convenient Lay- By.
The conversation lasted approx Ten minutes, over which time I had left the Engine on Tick - Over, and on leaving the Lay- By I became aware of a large cloud of Blue smoke, which was rather alarming to say the least !
On my return home, I reversed the car into my garage, and let her tick - over again for approx 5 mins, and again the exhaust emitted a large cloud of Blue smoke when I increased the engine revs
So, it looks like that on my return from my months holiday in Western Australia, I shall be removing and stripping the engine once more.
I suspect that one of the Oil Controll Rings may have fractured during resembly of the Engine, in my defence, I have to say that I did have problems when rebuilding it as it’s a 🐖 of a job trying to insert the Pistons into the bottom of the Cylinder Bores from the underside ,and even being Very careful, I still managed to break no less than Three oil control rings refitting the blighters !
So it’s back to the Drawing Board .................Ho - Hum

Cheers from a Very frustrated Al 😒😒😒😒

Ps I will take some photos during disassembly and show what I have found, just hope that it’s not too serious ! !

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Post by classiclife »

Hello Al,

That's a blow to say the very least and sorry to hear of this, but thank goodness you were not hundreds of miles away form home.

Out of interest, do you think the original manufacturers / fitters for your engine had the same issue with fitting rings etc ??

If not, why not and was their procedure different form yours - on the latter I suspect not.

Hope the holiday melts away the current hiccup !!

Regards.

Richard.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, well in answer to your question, there may be a couple of points to ponder, firstly, perhaps the original Pistons may have had only Rings above the Gudgeon Pin so may have been easier to fit, and of course when these Engines are re- bored, the Taper “ Lead-in” at the bottom of the Cylinder Bore gets progressively less, so by the time the Engine is on it ‘ say Fourth re-Bore there’s not much left of it !
This of course makes it much harder to be able to insert the Pistons in what can only be described as a very tight space,even with the Crankshaft removed , in fact, to try to fit them with it in place is impossible !
Hope this goes at least some way to answer your questions.

Cheers Al

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Post by classiclife »

Thanks Al, indeed it does.

Regards.

Richard.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

I see that there are brand new Pistons on e-Bay from Daimler Boy , these have Three Compression Rings and One Oil Control Ring, all above the Gudgeon Pin.
Unfortunately, they only come in STD, +20, +30, & +40 thou sizes, which is a shame , as I would have thought that there cannot be too many LA 11 engines around still having STD size Cylinder Bores, and there’s obviously many more with + 60 thou Bores which is a shame, but there Ya go ......

Cheers Al

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Wrap the car up warm and forget about it when sunbathing in Oz!
Return rejuvenated and get it all sorted by the summer.
Alternatively give the car a good beating with some branches torn off the nearest bush like John Cleese did in Fawlty Towers and see if it behaves in future. :o
How many times have you pulled that car apart in the last twelve months?