Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Affordable Corniche Convertible

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Affordable Corniche Convertible

Post by tjt77 »

NOT a Daimler.. but an equally rare handbuilt car and bargain priced for what it is :- https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/c ... 63092.html

John-B
Site Admin

Re: Affordable Corniche Convertible

Post by John-B »

Affordable? :o Affordable to buy but not to service or repair!

Lovely car to show off to friends. Externally beautiful but the red steering wheel and white seats are a bit too flashy for me.

The projection on the boot (trunk) looks odd. I suppose that is for extra stop lights. I wonder if that was original? I think it spoils an otherwise beautiful car. It seems to have far too many rear lights.

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

Beautiful cars but the American safety regulations ruin the lines with those awful bumpers.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

John.. the additional 'stoplight' sticking out like sore thumb was a US requirement.. those pig ugly 'safety' bumpers also part is US wisdom.. but were standard on ALL RR shadows /T2 variants post '77 worldwide..
as for cost to repair one left standing awhile.. if you are brave enough to own Citroen DS.. its has the self same system (which RR used under license) and is far easier to access for servicing on the crewe built cars..Dont know about UK prices.. I purchased a really excellent T1 bentley about 2 yrs back.. $4.500.. another $1,500 in parts to fully rebuild full braking system and i have a car that should run another 1/2 million miles before requiring next overhaul ... mind you.. once I change the camshaft to give that lazy low output V8 some REAL get uo and go.. it may well 1/2 the engine life.. Current Daimler project has swallowed up about $16k so far..we may be close to 1/2 way towards end goal.. for maybe 1/2 the driving pleasure of the T1..

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

If luxury cars appeal, there are few better than a Corniche. I owned a convertible a few years ago, and had it fully restored. It is one of 2 cars I bitterly regret selling, the other being a 1994 Bentley Turbo S. I now have a Corniche 2 door saloon which I am very pleased with. I would sell it before selling the ELS24 though. Pictures of both Corniches below:
Attachments
31750.jpg
1009150018.JPG

Noelex

Post by Noelex »

The Corniche is a really lovely car to drive and be in. I restored a 1975 Silver Shadow which was a great car and very reliable once sorted. The Corniche has noticeably more performance and it really shows adding to driving fun. A good non rusty car is an essential starting point. The mechanical repairs potentially needed are very expensive but at least you do have easy access to Flying Spares in the UK.

marchesmark
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by marchesmark »

Yes my convertible did have better performance than a Shadow II, but that was because of the original fitment Solex carb. Unfortunately they are notoriously fragile and prone to warping, and I never got more than 11mpg out of it, which is ridiculous. The FHC has a conversion using SU HIF7 carbs from a late Shadow/Spirit setup, which means the car has Silver Shadow performance and economy. It is quite a common conversion, so much so that Flying Spares sell a full kit for around £750.

Mark

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

Much as i like the 2 door version of the Shadow/T series Bentley, for practical reasons I stuck with the 4 door cars. Current T1 is undergoing brake system overhaul,,a prospect that some find frightening, but its the same system as was used by Citroen for decades and is fairly straightforward. albeit some parts area bit tricky to access... fortunately for me someone recently did half arsed brake job and replaced ALL the expensive bits.. but failed the replace the flex hoses ..hence there remain 'issues' .. hard to beat these cars in terms of value for money, they are veritable bargains.... My T1 has cost about 1/4 of what I currently have in my '65 Daimler 2 1/2 litre saloon to date...

Ozzsp250

Post by Ozzsp250 »

Tim,

Have you seen this --- https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/p ... 96299.html

The guys asking $3500 for the complete car.....

dansdaimler

Post by dansdaimler »

Ozzsp250 wrote: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:31 am Tim,

Have you seen this --- https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/p ... 96299.html

The guys asking $3500 for the complete car.....
This is my old car. If anyone wants to know history of it I would be happy to comment by message
Daniel
1962 Daimler SP250