Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Buying (or not) a Daimler Conquest Century

Altezza

Buying (or not) a Daimler Conquest Century

Post by Altezza »

Hi,

I am new here.
I am from Budapest/Hungary and an Englishman, who lives in Hungary selling his car:

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1060684

I called him yesterday and he seems nice and honest about the car, which as you can see have an engine failure.

So, my question is, is it worth to buy? How hard to find parts for this car (already tried too look around, and I only found the Daimler Car Clubs shop, with not too much parts for sale).
I saw that these cars are not too popular, so I think after the engine rebuild, some welding, new upholstery etc. and a new paint job, the car will maybe worths as the total cost of these repairs. Which is not a problem, but am I right? Will it worth a money like that?

I have a 1973 MGB GT and a 1980 Austin Mini too, so I have some experience with British classic cars.

The current owner bought the car three months ago and I saw that ad too, and the seller tried to sell the 3995 Pounds last September. Now the asking price is 5000 Pounds, which is too much I think. When he bought the car, the engine was fine. Now the enginge is in a basket...

Sorry for my English and thanks for the answers!

Misi (Mike)

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: Buying (or not) a Daimler Conquest Century

Post by Sydsmith »

Hi Misi.

Firstly welcome to the forum, I know very little about Conquest Century but I do know quite a lot of Centurys were built, no doubt someone will tell us shortly how many, so not so rare in the UK and quite a few went to America.

The supply of most second hand Century spares is quite good, there are quite a lot on ebay at present, most things can be sourced from this forum and the several experts who frequent it and will I am sure add to what I am saying would be able to help.

Complete cars needing restoration often come up in the UK and very much cheaper than the asking price of this one, and I suppose bearing in mind the fault on the engine is not clear from the advert, and it may well cost quite a lot to repair, or at least it would in the UK, £5,000 seems on the high side.

There is an engine on ebay at present for £999 so if all else fails that would be an answer.

I am sure those with more knowledge of the model will be able to help shortly. Syd

Altezza

Post by Altezza »

Hello Syd,

Thank you for your answer!
As the current owner told me, the engine have a big end problem. But that is all the information I have.
I think he did not check the oil level during his long trip from the UK to Hungary. But it is just a guess.
As far as I know there was a full engine overhaul (total cost was 3000 Pounds) 4000 miles before the engine failure, privided by John Nash. So theoraticaly the engine was in good shape before that trip.

So you think that I can find every kind of parts for this Daimler in the future if I decide to buy it?

(According to the internet, little bit less than 10000 Conquest built, inculding all body types, and according to the website howmanyleft.co.uk, only little bit more than 200 have MOT at the moment.)

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Mike,

1. The delightful registration number is worth zilch in Hungary!

2. I would be looking to pay £5000 for a car in good condition, requiring no major mechanical or body attention. This requires both.

3. You are looking at £2000 for a decent engine rebuild (reground crank. new con rods and shells, possibly new pistons etc.

4. The Century is a good car and the auto one is a great high speed cruiser due to the higher axle ratio.

5. I'm sure if you could find a better one somewhere at that sort of price. here's one (a Conquest, mind, not the Century) on E Bay requiring some fettling and look at the price................
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DAIMLER-CONQ ... :rk:2:pf:1

Cheers
Neil
Normal for Norfolk

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

I think you should always inspect and drive a car before buying it. Can you do that?

Altezza

Post by Altezza »

Dear John and Neil,

Thanks for the answers!

Yes, I can go to inspect the car, however it is about 2 hours from my home. But before I do this, I want to learn about this model as much as I can.

According the answers above, this car worths only 2-3000 Pounds. Am I correct?

And one more question, as I saw, this model have a hydro/mechanical brake system. How reliable, and how OK is this for a modern traffic?

Thanks again for your help!

Cheers,
Misi

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

If you go to inspect the car, the owner will probably give you some indication of whether anyone else is interested in it. If not, offer half and go away. If he calls back, you know he wants to negotiate because no one else wants to buy it.

There is some basic information in the DLOC data sheets
http://www.dloc.org.uk/cars/datasheets.php

Altezza

Post by Altezza »

When I talked to him on Friday he told me that I was the first who called him.

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Hi Misi,

I can only advise from a wholly "mechanical" point of view - which is that the car is grossly overpriced considering the inponderables.

Firstly, what exactly is wrong with the engine - but more importanly given it has been removed, what assurances can you give yourself that every part (especially the small bits) are there to repair it and re-install it in the car? You could be chasing your tail trying to locate them until we over here have a Brexit deal - and that aint going to be soon!!!

Furthermore the vendor says that it needs bodywork rectification. Have you assessed what that would cost in time and money?

If the car was for sale here inthe U.K. I doubt if it would sell for over £1500 -£2000 - never mind what silly prices are advertised on Ebay and the like.

I don't of course know the classic car market in Hungary, but the fact that the chap is selling it on after only two months should tell you all you need to know.

Sorry to be such a kill joy!

Regards,

Stan Thomas.

Altezza

Post by Altezza »

Hi Stan,

Thanks for your reply!

It is a small country so the classic car market is also not a big thing here. I think you are right about the asking price and yes, I know that maybe (ok, not just maybe) it need a small pile of money to bring this car back to life.
I will try to find out more details about the condition of the car.

Cheers,
Misi