Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Car SOS Daimler SP250 Dart

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Car SOS Daimler SP250 Dart

Post by Christopher Storey »

Sydsmith wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:51 pm It's an interesting series of programs but I do find it off putting when they show so much guff about getting parts etc when the real interest is in the work restoring the vehicle.
I couldn't agree more. I find these programmes unwatchable because of the moronic behaviour of the parts man who think's he's funny , and it spoils what could be interesting because the mechanic fellow seems to know what he's talking about

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

I find one of the better car restoration programmes on TV is Wheeler Dealers featuring Mike Brewer and Edd China. If you can live with Mikes hyper enthusiasm and OTT presentation, the content is quite good. Mike buys the cars and Edd does them up. They rarely attempt anything like a full restoration but pick out specific problems found on the car. Edd's work is always interesting, pretty detailed and often quite useful. Even Mike's contribution in getting parts restored gives an appreciation of some of the resto processes out there that in many cases I wasn't aware of.

After a 13 year run Edd has left the show to be replaced by Ant Anstead (ex 'For the love of Cars' presenter). Edd resigned because he thought the american owners of the show were going to cut the workshop content, which he wasn't happy with. I haven't seen the latest series - so far it's only on Discovery channel that I don't subscribe to - so whether the standard has dropped I've yet to find out, but the old series currently airs on Freeview channel 'Quest'.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

csm1406

Post by csm1406 »

Car SOS

The "Rush" was genuine as the owners 70 th Birthday was the "Reveal" - My Vehicle was the maroon SP2100LJ. The guys filming wanted a car up & running to film as they had given the other back. I know who did the R&P conversion & know it will have been done properly. I think we have to remember that the show goes to a wide audience many of whom will know very little about the vehicles and are probably not interested in the aspects that would appeal to us. Filming was based at the Ford Site at Dagenham where they have the ford heritage museum - I was allowed to spend some time there - fascinating place.
I spoke to the presenters and film crew about various aspects of the vehicle - it became apparent that they had a very specific and in my opinion narrow brief about what was required and would not deviate from that.
An interesting experience !
Cameron

JDB

Post by JDB »

Is Fuzz Townshend a forum member, I seem to remember him putting up a post about a bus he was restoring?
JB

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

JDB wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:03 pm Is Fuzz Townshend a forum member, I seem to remember him putting up a post about a bus he was restoring?
JB
Yes, he is. Look in the members' list (one post, not about a bus).

He was also a member of the old forum as fuzztownshend

Ozzsp250

Post by Ozzsp250 »

Vortex O'Plinth wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:36 pm I find one of the better car restoration programmes on TV is Wheeler Dealers featuring Mike Brewer and Edd China. If you can live with Mikes hyper enthusiasm and OTT presentation, the content is quite good. Mike buys the cars and Edd does them up. They rarely attempt anything like a full restoration but pick out specific problems found on the car. Edd's work is always interesting, pretty detailed and often quite useful. Even Mike's contribution in getting parts restored gives an appreciation of some of the resto processes out there that in many cases I wasn't aware of.

After a 13 year run Edd has left the show to be replaced by Ant Anstead (ex 'For the love of Cars' presenter). Edd resigned because he thought the american owners of the show were going to cut the workshop content, which he wasn't happy with. I haven't seen the latest series - so far it's only on Discovery channel that I don't subscribe to - so whether the standard has dropped I've yet to find out, but the old series currently airs on Freeview channel 'Quest'.
Have seen the show here in US with the wife commenting and she believes the show is better. We actually got to dinner the day before Christmas on Mike's electric boat in Newport California. Mike was not there which was probably a good as my wife thinks he the lazy half on the team.

David S

Post by David S »

I always thought the easiest way to change the park position was to turn remove the wipers and cable, then turn the wiper boxes the other way up, re-thread the cable through and put the wiper arms back on after the motor has parked the empty spindles.

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

David S wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:53 pm I always thought the easiest way to change the park position was to turn remove the wipers and cable, then turn the wiper boxes the other way up, re-thread the cable through and put the wiper arms back on after the motor has parked the empty spindles.
That seems a lot of work rather than just adjusting a lid with I think 3 screws
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

Ozzsp250

Post by Ozzsp250 »

left and right hand drive wipers.JPG
Sorry to raise an old issue;

The wiper arms for the SP250 RHD model I have don't appeared to be 'cranked' or offset enough to sweep the windshield acceptable to me. The windshield rubber has extension wear on it on drivers side with wiper blade fretting against it.

The attached photo shows the comparison between LHD and RHD with the LHD being totally acceptable.

Has anyone used the LHD arms on a RHD model or found a better offset arm?

Thanks