Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

V8 250 Barn find

fredinireland

V8 250 Barn find

Post by fredinireland »

I have agreed to buy another V8 to assist with my rebuild project. I knew this car existed in the back of an old workshop that had been supplying starter motor and alternator rebuilds for some 50 years. The owner had put the car in the workshop 20 years ago to do it up but never did. He is now selling up and I wanted first refusal on the car before it was disposed of. I looked it over as best I could and made a cheeky offer which was accepted. Because it has power steering I can transfer the complete front axle over to my project which has manual steering. That pretty much covers my outlay. The bonnet and bootlid are in excellent condition so I may use these too. The seats are bad though.
There is some rot in the passenger footwell which is normal but overall it is in sound condition so may be repaired and sold on once I have finished with it.
The engine is complete but I could not turn it over with the spanner I had.
Once I get it home I may well decide it is good enough to restore as I would love to get it back into use. It is a 1967 with webasto? sunroof. Once I have the paperwork I can check the numbers and put it on the register.
I need another garage urgently :D
One small issue I need to collect and ship back home to Ireland before Brexit!

David S

Re: V8 250 Barn find

Post by David S »

Well I hear there are more border crossings between Erie and NI than crossings between Canada and USA so you should be able to find a quiet road wide enough for your trailer in the next few months!
I still think BrExit is the best outcome for old car enthusiasts. Belgium & Brussels doesn't like them/us!

Good luck with the restoration(s)!

PatrickDixon

Post by PatrickDixon »

David S wrote: Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:51 pm I still think BrExit is the best outcome for old car enthusiasts. Belgium & Brussels doesn't like them/us!
Really? I can't think of a single piece of EU legislation that is bad for old car enthusiasts. I repatriated my 250 V8 a couple of years ago from Holland/Belgium without problem, but I'm not sure it will be quite so easy in a future outside the EU.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

No offence intended Patrick and Dave, but thankfully the B word has been notably absent on this forum and hopefully it will stay that way, without doubt there is a lot we could all say about the matter but resist the urge, please lets keep it that way. Syd

PatrickDixon

Post by PatrickDixon »

I did mention Belgium once, but I think I got away with it ....