Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Engine rebuild and starter motor

Warsash 2

Engine rebuild and starter motor

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
My mechanic yesterday had the rebuilt engine running for the first time in over a year. Just a couple of water leakes to sort and hope fully finished by the end of next week the car will be able to come home. Not bad for an engine deemed beyond repair! I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the forum members who have helped with advice at various times during the rebuild.
I have taken the opportunity to fit a Hi torque starter motor and wonder if this would be suitable for a V8 250 saloon. As it is an automatic it may be worth carrying as a spare when touring particularly on the continent.
Regards

Colin

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Re: Engine rebuild and starter motor

Post by A.N.Other »

I have never seen a need for a high torque starter on the V8. Of all the five engines I have had not one has ever struggled to fire up instantly.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

tjt77
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by tjt77 »

The readily available 'high torque starter' that fits the V8 2 1/2 litre saloon is the one listed for Austin Healey 3000. this same starter is used in multiple applications.. and furthermore it can be adapted .. the starter body can be turned to suit the particular application .. but those supplied for healey 3000 are in correct position to bolt straight into the Daimler V8 saloon.
these are a worthy modification.. they draw less current, spin the engine faster, and engage positively hence far less likely to damage the ring gear than the standard 'inertia' engagement starter.. another plus is that if you already have a damaged ring gear..the high torque stye starters engage from FRONT of ring gear (inertia type engages from rear) and hence will miss the damaged teeth..

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Hi
The high torque starter motor is on the SP250. I intend to keep the standard starter on the V8 250 which has not been a problem. My problem is does the one I have taken off the SP the same as the V8 so I can carry it as a spare.
Regards

Colin

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

If the query is does the original SP starter fit the V8 250 then the answer is no.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Pinion tooth count different

Warsash 2

Post by Warsash 2 »

Thanks Both of you for this.
If I swop the pinions over can the motor be used on the saloon?
Regards

Colin