Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Adjustable Steering Column Slippage

mickeytwonames

Adjustable Steering Column Slippage

Post by mickeytwonames »

Does anyone have a 'fix' for how to stop the steering wheel adjustment slipping - regardless of how tight I make the clip the wheel slowly slips down the column while I'm driving - All very disconcerting for passengers as I pull it back up.
Many thanks of anyone knows a workaround'
Mickeytwonames

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Adjustable Steering Column Slippage

Post by Petelang »

This was covered in an episode of Wheeler Dealers on a Jaguar XJC. You can probably catch it on Internet but it was towards end of the show. It was down to a worn piece on the collar of the column that the mechanism pinches up to and they got a replacement for about £20 from one of the classic jag dealers.
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

migray
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by migray »

I think the Consort's wheel adjustment is more like the Conquest's with an over centre cam on a little chrome lever. I haven't completely solved the issue on my Conquest but it was improved by degreasing the area where the clamping occurs. There is a collet which is clamped around the column and the gaps in this can get debris in which stops it closing up firmly - cleaning out the grooves could help.
The cam action on the chrome lever also gets worn so it may be possible to build that up with a bit of weld?
I've not seen a replacement collet for sale for these cars (unlike the XJ-C) but you never know.

Mike

mickeytwonames

Post by mickeytwonames »

Thanks for that - I'll try the degrease and clean out

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Stan Thomas »

Check the two sides of the gap in the hub are not butting together, and you can obtain a little more "pinch" by running a hacksaw down the gap in the hub (use two blades in the hacksaw if necessary), then slightly enlarging the hole in the hub where the clamp screw passes through to allow for alignment.

HenryC
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by HenryC »

Hi,

One problem is that the cam on the overcentre lever gets worn - its a soft metal.

I have replaced the whole thing with a bolt and nut - not original but it stops the steering wheel slipping. I've kept the catch for when i think how to repair it.
Cheers, Henry Curwen
Registrar for Conquest & Century Saloons (DJ250/1, DJ256/7, DJ260/1)

Conquest (Drop Head) Coupe DJ252

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

I just belted mine closed with a hammer. Not slipped since ;)
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Fossil
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Fossil »

I used Graham's method, with a nylon faced hammer so as not to damage anything else too much. I did this only after the short circuit of the horn wiring caused by frequent rubbing of the stator tube wiring loom as the steering wheel moved in and out, so good idea to do it before that happens. The car was immobilised by the blown fuse at a very inconvenient time. All wiring now replaced and steering wheel fixed in position.

Regards

Fossil

mickeytwonames

Post by mickeytwonames »

Thanks Guys I will try the Belt it and Braces approach

mickeytwonames

Post by mickeytwonames »

All fixed now - Cheers