Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Hardtop Lining

hej

Re: Hardtop Lining

Post by hej »

Many thanks Antony,

Very useful. I assume that the the sides are edges are before and separate to the central panel.

Regards

Howard

AntonyB

Post by AntonyB »

Thanks Howard, glad information was/is of use. The sides etc. are as before, and although I did not see the installation as the upholsterer took the hardtop away, I would guess that the central panel may be something like 1cm in thickness but this is a guess, I also assume that something like this would be known to other car upholstery trimmers.

Regards

Antony

Ian Hastings

Post by Ian Hastings »

Headlining in various guises can be obtained from www.hawkehouse.co.uk who supply to the marine industry and DIY users.
I would suggest the foam backed vinyl which is very easy to use. I did the whole inside of my boat some years ago.
You may need someone to sew bits together but they will give you instructions on how to make very acceptable joints without sewing.
Give them a call for samples to 02392588588 or email hawke.house@btopenworld.com.
If you have the old headlining you could send it to them and they will copy it - all you need to do then is stick it in with spray contact adhesive.

hej

Post by hej »

Thanks Ian.

Unfortunately don’t have the old headlining hence all my strange questions!

Cheers

Howard

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

I have actually unearthed the instructions for the Bryan Purves kit...
Image (2)-001.jpg
Unfortunately it assumes you have the parts to hand ready to assemble. The kit contains headlining material, foam mat, and millboard trim panels, but unless you have these, the profiles are not obvious.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

hej

Post by hej »

Many thanks Nick

Much appreciated and very helpful

Cheers

Howard

Bud

Post by Bud »

RE: Installation of hardtop lining.

One thing to make sure of is the ability of the contact cement or adhesive used to withstand heat.

What usually happens is that the glue softens under the heat of the sun when sitting out and internal surfaces temps soar, then gravity takes over. Different grades produce differing results, explain your needs to your trim supplier and you should get the correct product. The higher the solids content the better the glue will be. And many light coats (spatter lacing the spray over itself vs a heavy solid coat spray ) make a better surface adhesion when rolled or pressed in place to "contact" the two surfaces you have sprayed together.

A good way to tell your glue is ready and dry is to lightly place the back of your hand on the surface and when it barely clings to the hairs and not your skin it is ready to layup. And poly foams last longer than latex rubber foams which readily dry rots and deteriorates from ozone in the atmosphere.

And then there is the "padded vinyl hard top" option, but that's another topic.

hej

Post by hej »

Many thanks. I can see you are optimistic about the forthcoming Summer!

All advice is greatly appreciated

Regards

Howard