Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Water in my Doors

Richard Vester

Water in my Doors

Post by Richard Vester »

During my most recent ride through Belgium with lots of rain, I heard the water sloshing in my doors.
Are there holes in the bottom of the door that may be blocked or can I drill a hole (where?)

Thanks in advance for your support

John-B
Site Admin

Re: Water in my Doors

Post by John-B »

There should be holes there. I expect there is a lot of rubbish blocking them. Lie on your back and poke them free.
I suppose you could drill a larger hole in the fibreglass bottom of the door, I can't see how it would cause a problem.
B spec. cars have a chrome trim next to the glass which can have a seal, but my A spec is like your's, no trim or seal and the rain just drains down into the door.
Yesterday at Shepton Mallet I noticed that an early A spec car had had the chrome trim and seal added to stop water getting into the doors.

AntonyB

Post by AntonyB »

On my first SP (A Spec) I too experienced water remaining inside the door. As stated there are (and should be) drain holes, however on my car there was a sealing rubber around the inner door edge, that on the bottom covered the drain holes, I pulled away and water came rushing out, I reaffixed the seal but cut away a gap for the drain hole. Water in the door is not a problem if it can get out, and not that I have really investigated a B spec chrome trim, but was not aware that there was much of a seal incorporated and had just assumed that the trim merely reduced the size of the opening to the environment.

Antony

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

AntonyB wrote: Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:22 pm I have really investigated a B spec chrome trim, but was not aware that there was much of a seal incorporated and had just assumed that the trim merely reduced the size of the opening to the environment.
Antony
I think the seal was a separate addition.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

On my 'C' spec. car the bottom seal between the door glass and the metal channel engaging the regulator incorporated a rubber flange projecting towards the outer door panel. When the window was fully raised it appeared that this flange was intended to butt against the lower surface of the window aperture in the door preventing direct ingress of rain. This was hardly going to be effective since there was nowhere for the water running down the window to escape to except over the ends of the seal and thus into the door.

As has been pointed out, there are water egress holes in the bottom of the door that should be regularly cleared of any accumulated debris. On original build the outer foam rubber door seals were fitted in sections leaving these holes unobstructed. When these seals are replaced it's important to ensure these clearances are maintained.
door seal.JPG
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

simonp
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by simonp »

Have had a similar problem in the boot of the car. In this case, I drilled the boot floor but the hole often gets clogged up. Just as well we have fibreglass!

SimonP
Daimler SP 250 - "To feel its eager response as you open up is to know a new motoring adventure"(Sales brochure) The adventure continues!

Richard Vester

Post by Richard Vester »

Thanks everybody!