Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler 15 torque values

bop

Daimler 15 torque values

Post by bop »

I was wondering if any member has compiled a list of torque values for all engine, gearbox and axle components for the Daimler 15. I usually find some information on the assembly of these components, but almost all of the information lacks the actual torque values to use. I am trying to compile such a list as I assemble my engine, but I find I spend more time looking for values then actually doing the work! An example is, what is the torque value of the starting claw (nut) to hold the engine damper onto the crankshaft? If anyone has a list and is willing to share I would greatly appreciate it.

thanks Bob

Christopher Storey
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Daimler 15 torque values

Post by Christopher Storey »

Bob ; torque values were rarely given for cars of this era. I would suggest therefore that you use generic values according to the size of the fastening . Thus a dry ( as opposed to oiled ) 1/4" UNF ( which takes a 7/16 AF spanner ) will be perhaps 8-12 lb.ft, 5/16 UNF ( 1/2AF ) 15lb.ft, 3/8 UNF ( 9/16AF ) perhaps 30lb.ft and 1/2 UNF something like 50 lb ft .Once you get up to 1" and above e.g. crank pulleys etc you are thinking in terms of 100 - 140 lb.ft A fair approximation is that the torque capacity varies with the square of the fastening size, so that a doubling of the diameter has a torque capacity of 4 times the original

Rolf B.

Post by Rolf B. »

Hello Bob,

in the documentation about my 1933 Daimler 15 Sports Coupé I found a list with torque figures, which you can see below.

Regards
Rolf
Attachments
Torque figures.pdf
(84.49 KiB) Downloaded 85 times

bop

Post by bop »

Thanks for the replies. My concern is knowing the torque value of the bolt is one thing, but is the component you are clamping able to take the bolt torque value. I know that with modern repair manuals the same bolt has different torque values for different applications. I guess I will continue with the gut feeling theory.
Bob