Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Special Sports Door Seals

clevitt

Special Sports Door Seals

Post by clevitt »

I'm taking advantage of the improvement in the weather to complete replacement of the door seals on my Special Sports and wanted to check if the old seals were of the correct type. This is how they were fitted
image.jpeg
The vertical part on the front edge of the door frame slots into a metal channel attached to the door frame, but the horizontal section has a different profile and is attached by a thin metal strip screwed through the back half of the profile.
I obtained the new seal from David Beales, but this only matched the profile of the horizontal part. The vertical part would require a different profile, something like Wollies Extrusion R219.
Many thanks,
Chris

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Special Sports Door Seals

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Chris,
I think that I will not be alone in thanking you if you can unravel the mystery of the Special Sports door seals.
As so few of the cars remaining are original it has been difficult to work out what was the correct manner of sealing those doors.
My own car has a rounded sponge rubber type seal, which is readily available from general rubber suppliers, but I now have s et of seals, as yet unfitted from Mark Bearman who operates the Daimler Rubber Company out of Western Australia.
I will see if I can find that Woolies seal on their site as we are visiting an Auto Rubber Company this coming Saturday and maybe we can find a locally available match.
Keep us posted on how you go and it will be good to hear from other Special Sports owners on what and how the seals on their cars are fitted.
There is also the big question about seals being fitted to doors as well, or not at all.
Cheers from Sydney.
Peter Grant

clevitt

Post by clevitt »

Thanks Peter, it might help your own search to know that R219 does work for the vertical section. I had to clear the channel of debris and with liberal use of silicone lubricant was able to slide the extrusion in from the bottom .
Chris

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

Hi Chris
When I fitted door seals to my SS I found that the best fit were TR4 door seals. With a little judicious measurement and cutting, you can make one length for the vertical section, and then superglue it to the rest, so that you have a one piece seal for each side.
Terry

clevitt

Post by clevitt »

Thanks Terry, your mention of TR4 lead me to goggle TR4 door seals. According to the owners forum, seems the TR4 originally used similar channels on both A and B posts, also the sill to retain the door seal. Due to difficulty in obtaining replacements and/or damaged channels, some TR4 owners have removed these channels and used a modern profile combining a rubber seal for the door and a furflux for inside. Presumably this is glued in place of the channel? Where the channels have been retained, the problem is finding a profile with the(base) dimensions to match the channel: either it is too big and difficult to fit (my experience with R219) or too small and liable to not stay in place.
The TR supplier SC Parts' website lists two types of TR4 door seals: one for when there are retainers ( channels?) the other being the combined rubber/furflux, which would seem to confirm the above.
So Terry ; what profile did you use and did/does your car have channels and on which parts of the door frame?
This photo is my car after removing the old seals and tiding up, It is feasible that the same channel was originally fitted to the sills.
image.jpeg
Also a photo of the David Beales supplied seal (bottom) and R219 (top)
Any input from other SS, particularly those longer term, owners might help resolve the matter.
Many thanks
Chris
Attachments
image.jpeg

davidian

Post by davidian »

Hi all.
I am new to this site and have owned my SS for twelve years so I may be able to shed some light on the door seals. My car was very tatty but I think original , it had been treated to a few repaints in its life as witness the build up of paint around hinges and fittings so I think it had never been dismantled for this purpose. The original seals for the doors were of a single profile from below the screen all around to the B post with a mitre cut at the wing profile, it was attached to the car using small tacks spaced about an inch apart . The nearest I could find at the time was Woolies sponge extrusion SRS14 with one side cut away .In the SS Parts catalogue they list one number for the door seal and another number for the seal of the boot ,spare wheel locker and spats, these being of the same profile but smaller.
Hope this helps .davidian

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

We visited Old Auto Rubber here in Sydney and I took a sketch of the T shaped piece as shown in the post above. They had a similar extrusion and I took a sample home but it doesn't fit the channel.
The David Beales sample above is the same as the one available from The Daimler Rubber Company based in WA and Would be available for,individual,order from that company.
My question is how,do you glue it in to stay put?
Cheers
Peter Grant

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Sorry, I asked a question with an obvious answer.
Glue the flat surface along the base of the channel on the horizontal section and the vertical face of the channel on the door close sections?
Peter Grant

terryfrombury

Post by terryfrombury »

Oh you are really testing my memory now, Chris. The seal that I used fitted perfectly into the channels and was not a rubber/furflex combination. I`d suggest that you get a sample of the TR seal that is designed for the original channel. On my car the channel runs down the A Post to the sill, and then the seal fits beautifully into the angle along the sill without any channel and without needing any channel. I`ll dig out the guy I got the seal from.

The supplier for my seal was Autohose in Milton, Stoke. Tel 01782 542486. This appears to be the most unlikely and unprepossessing place, but absolutely superb and highly recommended. No website.

clevitt

Post by clevitt »

Firstly, welcome to the forum davidian, you make a good point about the two different numbers in the parts catalogue. It raises the possibility that David Beales supplied the wrong item as his is identical to those on the boot, spare wheel door and wheel covers of my car. I have contacted Matthew Beales to explore this, it might even be able to tap into his Dad's extensive Daimler knowledge and answer Peter's question on how it was done in the Barker factory.
Thanks Terry for the Autohose details, I picked up his flyer at a NEC show a few years ago and subsequently ordered some plastic hose to link the heater outputs to the below screen air vents.
Chris