Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Special Sports fuel issue

migray
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Special Sports fuel issue

Post by migray »

Have you tried blowing down the fuel line from the pump to the tank? Sometimes crud can form in the tank across the pipe and stop it flowing, or a build up in the pipe somewhere.

Mike

NickDeAth
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by NickDeAth »

At college we were taught that if the pump has been put together properly if you operate the lever you should get a sort of "quacking" noise ( with no fuel in it). I remember it well!

Nick
"Nick - do you think you will ever put that old car back together again?"

Crossley Stephenson

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

Thanks Mike, I have blown the pipes through - pump to tank- no problem there.
Cheers
Michael

Crossley Stephenson

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

For the sake of completeness and to finish this topic....

A new fuel pump repair kit arrived yesterday from David/Matthew Beales, fitted and pump reinstalled in about and hour, we now have fuel pumping to carburettors and the car starts.

I have examined the old diaphragm and old valves (again) but can see nothing obvious... but there was air being drawn in somewhere.

All good now, thanks for everyone's advice and assistance. I'm off for a drive around the Mornington Peninsula this arvo.

Cheers
Michael

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Michael,

Congrats !

Thanks for letting us know.

Beat Weibel

Post by Beat Weibel »

I had a similar problem with my Conquest New DHC that I hope to have resolved today:
The car stopped after a few hundred meters. Waiting and manually priming the pump helped to go for another 100 meters.
I dismantled the pump and fitted the refurbishment kit. Thereby installing the membrane at the same angle as it originally was. Unfortunately, the refurbished pump didn't pump enough fuel and all of sudden a click was heard and the pump didn't supply any fuel at all. So I dismantled the pump again and figured out that the membrane was not engaged properly. It was only turned by approx 45 to 60 degrees and also jumped out when I opened the pump. By pushing down and turning the membrane lever by 90 degrees it properly engaged and seems to work now.
Obviously the previous owner had not properly engaged the membrane. The car ran for many kilometers but maybe at some stage, the membare just became loose and the above mentioned problems began.
Two pictures attached: new orange membrane and old version with black membrane.

Best regards
Beat
Attachments
20190309_102031_2.jpg
20190308_142108_2.jpg