Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler 15 quiz

bop

Daimler 15 quiz

Post by bop »

Had the flywheel housing installed and went to install the fluid flywheel. :shock: Anyone guess what is missing in this picture? Flywheel housing removed for picture
1.JPG
Answer tomorrow
Bob

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Re: Daimler 15 quiz

Post by ranald »

Is it the bolts to secure the fluid flywheel? I attach a photo of my Lanchester's engine.
8 (6).JPG
All the best, Ranald

bop

Post by bop »

And the winner is Ranald!!!
I had my engine assembled and decided to install the flywheel. No problem I said to myself. I only have to install the 4 bolts into the crank, put the flywheel on and tighten the nuts. As Murphy would have it, no bloody way to install the bolts. Why were the bolts out you ask? Well I had to ship the crank and con rods off on a 2000km round trip to have the con rod big ends re-babbetted and felt having those bolts sticking out was looking for trouble. So I removed them.
So the solution was to drain the engine oil, take the oil pan off, remove some of the oil piping and remove the bottom half of the rear main bearing. Only then was I able to install those darn bolts.
2.JPG
So the moral to quiz is
"Make sure the flywheel bolts are installed before you install the crankshaft!!"

Bob

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Culbu »

I note !

Rolf B.

Post by Rolf B. »

Indeed, my son and I have made this experience too and had to do this job twice.

Rolf B.

Marcel Renshaw
Man of Many Parts
Man of Many Parts

Post by Marcel Renshaw »

A friend made the mistake of not removing the bolts when sending his engine for reconditioning.
Needless to say it came back without the bolts.

Culbu
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Culbu »

Thanks to you guys, I will not do this mistake !!