Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Advice on Consort price

Chris Maher

Advice on Consort price

Post by Chris Maher »

I advertised my 1953 Consort in the NSW Club Magazine for $15,000 ONO and have got zero enquiries. It needs no work and is a drive away proposition ready to use on club runs. It has been in the NSW Club for decades and each owner has cared for it well.

I am trying to work out if there are few Consort buyers about or if the price is too high. Any ideas?

Chris Maher

Crossley Stephenson

Re: Advice on Consort price

Post by Crossley Stephenson »

Hi Chris,

I think you may have two problems: 1) for some reason the Consort doesn't seem very popular - it's been three or four years since I saw one at one of our club events. They used to be numerous. 2) the price may be a bit optimistic - one sold here in Vic. for $15,000 about four years ago and we were all gobsmacked. We thought it was a $10-$12,000 car but the seller just happened to find the right buyer. Generally when a car doesn't sell it is either condition - doesn't appear to apply to yours, or price - could be the problem.
It's a shame they are very usable cars with a certain 'je ne c'est quoi' and easy enough to work on.

Good luck,
Michael

Chris Maher

Post by Chris Maher »

Hi Michael,

A Consort sold at Shannons Winter 2018 auction in Sydney for $A18,500; complete with vinyl upholstery, velour head trim & horrible whitewall tires. When you add the commission that is a lot of money to drive away sitting on plastic seats. If you wanted to fix it up to get back to original you would be bleeding serious money. My car has been re-trimmed in leather by a previous owner and has wool head trim.

I wonder if people understand the difference?

Chris

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Hi Chris

From the UK perspective, they are impossible to value as they appeal to such a small audience. If it had a Jaguar or MG badge they'd be a queue for it. We've seen lovely cars go through auctions here and fetch £1,000 whereas the same model can fetch £15,000 on a private sale - if you are patient enough for the right buyer to come along.
Good luck with it though.
By the way is it on the DLOC DB18 register? We are trying to keep track of every DB18 in existence.
You can tell us about it at www.dloc-members.com

Best regards
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Peter Grant
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Peter Grant »

Hi Chris,
I think there is a third problem. I think you are advertising in a very limited market where about the only serious interest is in SP 250's.
Given the great condition your car is in and presents so well would a campaign in a magazine like Just Cars help do you think? You'd get to a wider audience and maybe someone out there will see the ad and see that they are getting that value for money.
Cheers
Peter G