Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 - Steering Swivels - How tight is right?

smithgor

SP250 - Steering Swivels - How tight is right?

Post by smithgor »

I'm in the process of fitting new track rod ends and have noticed a significant difference between the effort needed to turn the (disconnected) front steering. One side is quite easy to turn through the arc lock to lock, the other needs a bit of effort (not superhuman but significantly more).

There is nothing to suggest that either side is worn / has play in it and I've got grease going into and coming out of all the right places. The top swivel on the tight side had been renewed before I got the car 2 years ago and I replaced the top swivel on the easier side last year.

I know the bottom swivels (trunnion blocks) are expensive to replace so don't want to be ignoring what might be advance warning of trouble. By the same token maybe these start off tight and wear in. How tight or loose can the swivels be before they are a source of concern?

Flinty

Re: SP250 - Steering Swivels - How tight is right?

Post by Flinty »

Just jack the wishbone up a little so it is in the position it would be with the weight of the car on it and see if it is still stiff.

Steve.

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

As above ,
and check the slop in the trunnions with a bar under the hub with the suspension in this loaded position.
regards, steve

smithgor

Post by smithgor »

Thanks Steve & Steve.

Loading up the suspension has made the tight side as loose as the other. Not sure I totally understand why that should be different side to side, though.

Levering up the hubs in the loaded position produces no discernible play/float/undue movement in either of the trunnions, so I'm taking it that all is well - certainly nothing picked up at the MOT last year 100 miles ago.

Gordon

daimlersteve
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by daimlersteve »

Heres a thought,
at one time the supply of top B/Js was crap. The angle range was limited and when in droop would bind up , simply jamb in the casting , this was true of those supplied to Daimler Clubs and also Triumph parts suppliers.
The solution if this is the case with yours is to pack the lower droop stop with thick 3/8 washers to limit the range to less than binding. . . give it a try .
steve

smithgor

Post by smithgor »

Steve,

Your suggested cause sounds very plausible.

I think that, given I now know it works fine except 'in extremis' at the limit of rebound, I'm going to leave it be and move on.

I want to get out in the car whilst this unseasonable weather continues.

Cheers

Gordon