Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Chassis Lubrication Daimler Conquest

normantheconquest

Chassis Lubrication Daimler Conquest

Post by normantheconquest »

I am wanting to know what to use to top up the chassis lubrication reservoir as I cant find a modern equivalent to the fluid noted in the handbook. Can anyone advise please? Daimler Conquest, 1956, based in West Sussex, UK.
The service manual specifies Shell Dentax SAE90 or Mobilube C90 or Castrol ST but none of those products exist now. I am also finding it difficult to get hold of SAE 10W30 engine oil off the shelf.

Bob Frisby

Re: Chassis Lubrication Daimler Conquest

Post by Bob Frisby »

Hello Norman (?),

Can't speak for others, but I just use the thickest, stickiest oil I can get, which is either STP or a similar product called Motor Honey. I figure the thicker the better, just to minimize drippage. Another possibility might be very heavy (140 weight) gear oil. You would NOT want to use 10w40 motor oil --- way too thin. At room temps, 10w40 is just 10w.

You may well get other opinions!

Bob Frisby
Boise, Idaho USA
DB18 Hooper Empress
DF302 Hooper Empress

Db n j
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Db n j »

Have a look at the Morris Oils website.

They list both SAE90 and 10W30.

Although they do a mail-order service, I would try my local Farm Supplies establishment first - these oils appear to be still used
by tractors.

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Norman, as has been said any thick oil, and the thicker the better, BUT as the spring bushes are or should be bronze, it is important not to use what I know as Hypress oils, they destroy bronze, I think, and perhaps some one will correct me if I am wrong but they are known as hypoid oils. Syd

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Hi Philp
There’s a Century Manual up for auction which looks in great condition.
https://www.the-saleroom.com/en-gb/auct ... image-link
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)