Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

LA11 engine problems

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re- Titled, MG ZS Engine Problems

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, looks like it’s gonna cost me at least twice what the cars worth, But, it’s in such good condition,that I just ‘ can’t bare to scrap it 😢😢😢

Cheers Al 😊
Last edited by JT7196 on Wed Mar 20, 2019 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

John-B
Site Admin

Re: LA11 engine problems

Post by John-B »

It's only money :D You must have it ready for the summer shows.

I've been persuaded by my sister in law to spend a huge amount on a new garage when the tatty old timber garage with a tin roof and inadequate length is perfectly OK :shock: So "it's only money" applies to me too.

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: LA11 engine problem

Post by JT7196 »

Hi, just an update re the MG Head Gasket scenario, well the Cylider Head was stripped and re- faced etc, it was the decided to fit a the latest Oil Tray Rail Casting, this is the part that all the Head retaining Stretch Bolts screw into ,on investigation it was found these Casting have been uprated by Land Rover, to stiffen the Engine Block etc , as it has been found that any movement can cause the Head Gasket to fail , we shall see.............😊

Cheers Al 😊😊

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

Hi,
Thankfully she passed the MOT yesterday, so let’s hope I can enjoy trouble free motoring for a few more years 😊😊

Cheers Al 😊😊

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

If it is any consolation Al, Father in law (93) has a 1983 Mazda 323, last year he took it for it's MOT, having spent £800 last year to get it though, the Mazda agent quoted £1,200 this year major brake overhaul and some welding.

He got his MOT and it was just 600 mile since the last one, the car has done 46,000 miles in total.

It cost him £620 insurance (He insists on comprehensive)£155 tax and £1,200 MOT costs so if my maths are correct a mere £3.30 a mile plus fuel and a new battery.

And I dare anyone to suggest selling the car and using a taxi would be cheaper Syd

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

We have just traded in the wife’s VW golf that we owned from new. 54 plate (September 2004) 44000 miles always garaged, even at here work place. Everyone commented that it was like new. We got £1400 on the trade in.
Why ! Because it had developed a water leak, only slight but enough to worry about (you always think the worst). The new car is bliss but now I have sleepless nights thinking about what a muppet I am. What doesn’t help is a letter from the new owner telling us what a well-kept nice car he has bought.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

JT7196
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by JT7196 »

That’s exactly why I decided to keep my MG , would never have found another car in such good condition for the money it cost me to get it repaired !! 😊😊

Cheers Al 😊😊😊