Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Leda Bootlid

Farmer John

Leda Bootlid

Post by Farmer John »

Hi. The bootlid on my 1953 Leda is hinged at the front of course but the lid does not seem to open high enough. When open the lip is 1225mm from the ground which of course makes it dashed awkward to access the contents. Kneeling is the only way.
Could someone tell me whether that is normal or how high it should go. If that is the correct height it can stay like that, as much as can be seen of the hinges looks to be in perfect original condition.
Thanks, John.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Leda Bootlid

Post by Phillmore »

That's normal on the Conquest as well. After a few bruises on the back of the head you soon learn to adapt! I believe there is potential for a slight adjustment of the two springs but all mine have the same "design fault".
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

I was browsing through a 1950 Autocar and found a review of the Lanchester 14. I attach one of the photographs from the article which shows the boot lid in the open position. All the best, Ranald
B886159C-1DC1-48CE-BFB3-A882A13F1B08.jpeg

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

In the fifties folk must of had short legs and long arms. :D
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

Ranald's pic shows one of the prototypes which has struts to hold up the boot and external hinges (which you can't see in the pic)

This was changed in the production run to the self - supporting springs and internal hinges as the powers that be felt the external ones spoiled the lines.

The work round solution is to get a yard brush handle, open the boot as far as it will go (do feel free to force it up an inch or two) and mark the brush handle where it is level with the bottom edge of the boot.

Cut a "V" in the brush handle and then use this as a prop when you open it.

No, it's not April 1st..............................

Neil
Normal for Norfolk

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Hi, Here’s another photo from the article in The Autocar (dated 13th Oct 1950). The boot is described as follows, “At the back of the body is a large inbuilt locker with its lid opening upwards on balanced hinges, and a separate compartment for the spare wheel beneath its floor”. The photo doesn’t seem to show external hinges.
10F7C5E4-E426-46E0-928B-E32497676FDE.jpeg

Farmer John

Post by Farmer John »

Hello again, I thank you gentlemen very much for your replies. Looks like it stays as is, that is what I wanted to know.
John

Graham

Post by Graham »

I saw a conquest at a show and it had the boot opened a lot higher than normal, on investigation he had cut of the spring part of the hing and had installed a boot stay.

Farmer John

Post by Farmer John »

Thanks Graham.
John

theoldman
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by theoldman »

There was more than one prototype, Ranald.
Normal for Norfolk