Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Engine dying after short distance

wadams

Engine dying after short distance

Post by wadams »

Hi
Has anyone had any experience of their engine going well for about 10-15 miles before then dying and cutting out at low revs once the engine is warm?
I have changed the coil, cleaned the ht lead and checked out the fuel pum and all are ok.

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Re: Engine dying after short distance

Post by A.N.Other »

Have you done any servicing which involved changing ignition parts ? If so put the old stuff back and try again.

If the car has been stored over winter take the fuel line as close to the carbs as possible and pump fuel into a container. Check the amount delivered and if short then it may be blockage in line or filter or a pump diaphram or valve. If all OK then strip the float bowls and check the floats and float valves aren’t sticking.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

wadams

Post by wadams »

Hi Col
Thank you for responding. I have done the things you have suggested and all is fine. I am in the process of rebuilding the carbs now. This is a really weird issue that is very puzzling! The car runs beautifully for about fifteen miles then starts to pink and then the exhaust pops a bit before the accelerator does not allow me to rev the engine. As the car slows down and comes to a stop the engine cuts out. After about ten minutes she starts up and runs for about five miles before the same problem starts again. Any suggestions are welcome.

Soundmike

Post by Soundmike »

The most likely components are the coil and/or condenser failure when hot.

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Have you changed the condenser as this could cause a similar problem. just seen another posting by Mike which is similar
Peter

wadams

Post by wadams »

Hi
There is a new coil and there is no condenser as it has electronic module component instead. Thanks for suggestions.

Norfolk Lad
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Norfolk Lad »

Sadly even they are known to fail could revert back to old units if you still have them as a test.

Ozzsp250

Post by Ozzsp250 »

Which electronic unit are you using?

From experience I can tell you I had my first suffer from infant mortality. It was a "Powerspark" supplied item, link follows.
https://simonbbc.com/k20-powerspark-ele ... stributor/

Supplier suggest the new ignition leads were the problem -- I did purchase another and have it running on my new engine so far to good running with their recommended leads.

wadams

Post by wadams »

Hi Ozzsp250
Yes I believe it is a Powerspark but I am checking with the company who set it up for me. Sounds like this might be the problem. Thank you.

silverdart

Post by silverdart »

This happened to me when I had fitted a modern fuel pump. The new pump pressure was too great, so I fitted a regulator in the line to reduce the delivery.
This solved the problem.

Dave.