Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

oil leak SP250

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

oil leak SP250

Post by Sydsmith »

My SP250 V8 engine leaks a small amount of oil, about half a tea cup full when laid up during the winter. It drips some oil from the hole in the bottom of the flywheel housing at all times, leaves a ten pence piece size drip when parked up after a run.

An irritatingly trivial but none the less inconvenient leak.

I suspect it is coming from the rear crankshaft oil seal, which, looking at the workshop manual, I presume is at least a gearbox out job, if not an engine out job.

Any suggestions please, I do have access to a car lift.

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Re: oil leak SP250

Post by A.N.Other »

The crank is the most likely but it could also be the cam shaft core plug. It may also be coming from the oil pipe banjo fittings, the rocker covers or the distributor base area. Before you start ripping the engine or gearbox out check the areas mentioned. How thick is the oil that is dripped? Check the gearbox oil level.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Many thanks for the quick response Colin.

I have to admit this has been a problem for some time. At first I thought it was a rocker cover problem and fitted Wilf Stevens "O" ring cure which cured a front oil drip but not the one in the gearbox area.

Without doubt the oil is coming out of the quarter inch hole in the bottom of the gearbox housing and I have to admit to not checking the oil level there since the summer of 2017 so that will be next port of call, I guess you are suggesting main shaft oil seal? Syd

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

Yes but only as a check. The mating surfaces between the engine, back plate and gearbox are large areas that don’t have gaskets. There is nothing to say that oil is not ingressing through the faces. I hope that makes sense?
I can’t remember but could the sump seal be the culprit or is that too low to bridge the back plate hole for the crankshaft?
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !