Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 Owners Handbook

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

SP250 Owners Handbook

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

For sale on eBay....
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (26.09 KiB) Viewed 1611 times
Description reads ..."HAS GGGGGGOT WET IN ITS LIFE & CAUSING MOST THE PAGES TO FUSE TOGETHER TOWARDS THE CENTER BOTTOM OF EACH PAGE. MOST IS OFF THE TEXT. SPINES A BIT SPLIT & SEE THROUGH TO A FEW PAGES. A LITTLE DAMAGE & LIGHT FINGERPRINTS ON OTHER PAGES, OVERALL"

It's still apparently worth £120!!
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

classiclife
Classic Wise Man
Classic Wise Man

Re: SP250 Owners Handbook

Post by classiclife »

That's unbelievable, Nick.

Some of these sellers must be permanently sniffing glue !!

Sad fact is that someone will buy that, at a price still way above sanity.

Regards.

Richard.
1968 Daimler V8-250 Saloon
DLOC East Sussex Branch Secretary
DLOC 2.5L V8 & V8-250 Registrar - https://www.dloc.org.uk/v8-250
DLOC 2024 International Rally - https://www.dloc.org.uk/rally-2024

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

I paid £70 for mine, including postage, from a Club member.

In about 1972 I left my car with the passenger door unlocked in London and the book got stolen, but luckily the car was OK.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Originally the SP250 Owners Handbook cost 15 shillings - equivalent to roughly £17 in today's money. Obviously their rarity now makes therm worth whatever someone will pay, but £120 for a very tatty example seems optimistic.

I can well understand an SP owner wanting to acquire the original documentation associated with their car, particularly in the form of a handsome gold embossed hard cover handbook; however, if you lack a copy and all you want is the information contained therein, I have now scanned my own handbook (complete with greasy thumbprints) that I will be happy to send a copy of on receipt of an email address.
Nick

csm1406

Post by csm1406 »

Hi
I would like a copy of the SP250 handbook Email csm1406@aol.com

Many Thanks !
Cameron

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

There are different editions; mine says First Edition 1959 (for A spec.). Presumably there was another for B spec. cars.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

John-B wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 12:46 pm There are different editions; mine says First Edition 1959 (for A spec.). Presumably there was another for B spec. cars.
Mine is the Fourth Edition - 1965.
Nick

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

I wonder what the differences were? Four editions - it's only an owner's handbook so there's not a lot of technical detail.

Mine shows a photo of a car with the A spec "whiskers" beside the grille, perhaps the later editions have a different photo. What else might change, perhaps recommendations for maintenance intervals, oil types, wiring diagram, etc.?

My edition does have two stuck-in amendments in red type, one regarding use of the clutch ... never rest the left foot on the pedal; don't start the engine holding down the clutch pedal at high engine speeds; during traffic delays, don't hold the pedal down.

Another amendment regarding removing and replacing spark plugs ... utilise the special box spanner supplied with the car (have you got one?).

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

John-B wrote: Sun Mar 03, 2019 3:13 pm I wonder what the differences were? Four editions - it's only an owner's handbook so there's not a lot of technical detail.

Mine shows a photo of a car with the A spec "whiskers" beside the grille, perhaps the later editions have a different photo. What else might change, perhaps recommendations for maintenance intervals, oil types, wiring diagram, etc.?

.....Another amendment regarding removing and replacing spark plugs ... utilise the special box spanner supplied with the car (have you got one?).
This is the picture in the fourth edition.....
Capture.JPG
...and I suspect it's the same as in the first; front 'whiskers', rear 'bumperettes', Ace wheeltrims and a real giveaway, recesses behind the door handles.

It does contain the following paragraph.....
Capture1.JPG
....that I presume is your amendment put into print.

I don't have the 'special box spanner' referred to but I do have a spark plug socket with a rubber insert to retain the plug that works perfectly.
Nick

Post by #100910 »

100910 was built in August 1961 and has the "FIRST EDITION, 1959" handbook.

It also has the two paste-over papers in red ink on pages for "USE OF THE CLUTCH" and "REMOVING AND REPLACING SPARK PLUG".

Both the handbook and the "Supplement For Accessories & Extras" were in the driver-side door pocket when the car was acquired and appeared to have weathered several rainstorms, so in similar condition to the one in the advert.

All pages eventually were separated, were readable, and exuded an adequate amount of character.
Still has that great factory-fresh smell.

I would appreciate receiving a copy of the 1965 Fourth Edition for a page-by-page comparison and will report back with any differences found.

greghirsh @ hotmail

I assume the box spanner to be the item in the center of the image below? :
tool_roll_.jpg
ToolKitPartsListing.PNG