Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Wiring harness routing SP250 B type LHD

Zbigmak

Wiring harness routing SP250 B type LHD

Post by Zbigmak »

Can any one point me in the direction where I might able to see how the wiring harness should be installed.
I am in the process of rebuilding the car and would really appreciate some advice or photos as to how and where the harness should be correctly installed.

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Re: Wiring harness routing SP250 B type LHD

Post by A.N.Other »

There should be strips of metal moulded into the fibre glass which when rolled around the loom act as ties. These will help you trace your way if evidence of them are still there.
From voltage regulator/fuse box area forward in top of wing to the radiator. Tucked in at side of rad into nose cone section and across rad to feed lights.
From regulator forward then cross over rocker cover through steel clip to dynamo.
From reg/fuse area back tuck up into wing top to bulk head. Then one part across bulkhead to distributor and then wiper motor and wash bottle. Another loom piece goes through the bulkhead utilising a large bung to behind the dash.
From inner bulk head split to dash panel and dials etc.
From inner bulkhead split down back of A post into cavity and then inside sill to cavity behind the B post.
In cavity ‘up to rear bulkhead at side of rear seat and through to the boot.
Along top of boot and wings to lights, sender unit, pump and reserve if fitted.

That’s a basic start for RHD and I believe a left hooker is mirrored. Let’s hope some pictures appear to make sense of my ramblings. As I say the main clues are from the factory’s moulded in clips. Let’s hope evidence of them are still there.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Soundmike

Post by Soundmike »

With the benefit of having both a right & left hook in my shed, they both apear to be the same except:
Steering column wires (indicator & horn) have longer wires routed behind grill.
High/ Low beam switch wiring on left instead of centre right.
Battery on Right HS but solenoid on left as per RHD.
Wiper motor also on Right HS, wipers park to the left and wiper arm have offset to left, RHD to right. (blades parallell to bottom of screen).
Other differences, rear indicators red not amber, LHD headlights dipped to the right (had to change those for driving on the left), headlamp surrounds much deeper profile.
The engine still turns clockwise looking from the front!!

heh101353

Post by heh101353 »

Are you sure? You'd better look twice! :D
Hans
:o owner since 2015 :mrgreen:
https://www.wyhe.ch/

Zbigmak

Post by Zbigmak »

Colin thank you for the reply.
Can you just confirm whether the wiring loom part going to the rear of the car goes inside the sill or along side the sill along the floor before going up into the rear cavity at the side of the rear seat.

I cannot seem to find any any to route the harness inside the sill.
George
Big Col wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 11:51 am There should be strips of metal moulded into the fibre glass which when rolled around the loom act as ties. These will help you trace your way if evidence of them are still there.
From voltage regulator/fuse box area forward in top of wing to the radiator. Tucked in at side of rad into nose cone section and across rad to feed lights.
From regulator forward then cross over rocker cover through steel clip to dynamo.
From reg/fuse area back tuck up into wing top to bulk head. Then one part across bulkhead to distributor and then wiper motor and wash bottle. Another loom piece goes through the bulkhead utilising a large bung to behind the dash.
From inner bulk head split to dash panel and dials etc.
From inner bulkhead split down back of A post into cavity and then inside sill to cavity behind the B post.
In cavity ‘up to rear bulkhead at side of rear seat and through to the boot.
Along top of boot and wings to lights, sender unit, pump and reserve if fitted.

That’s a basic start for RHD and I believe a left hooker is mirrored. Let’s hope some pictures appear to make sense of my ramblings. As I say the main clues are from the factory’s moulded in clips. Let’s hope evidence of them are still there.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

The main loom is routed from the front footwell to the rear of the car inside the sill. When removing the old loom it's sensible to attach a length of string and pull this through to replace the loom; when the new loom is fitted it is easy to attach the end to the string and pull it through the sill.

If this was not done when the old loom was removed - and I forgot to do it on my car - spending some time probing the route in the sill with stiff but flexible wire may eventually allow you to attach the loom and pull it through. I did so - and it only took me three days.... :(
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

Nick is right. I also was left with a project that didn’t have a draw string put in when the original loom was pulled out.
It took me several lengthy attempts to get a path through. Electrical wholesalers and DIY shops sell special tools of various types to aid the job. Some types of drain unblockers may also work.
But the loom definitely goes through the sill.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

Ian Hastings

Post by Ian Hastings »

I have just recently completed this job but luckily I had the foresight to attach a mousing wire when the old loom was pulled out so the new cables went in quite easily along the sill.
The hardest bit was getting the cable over the mudguard and into the boot, even with the mouse wire, but with much struggling, skinned knuckles and expletives later it went through.

Zbigmak

Post by Zbigmak »

Gentlemen you were of course correct.
After trying in vain to find the entry exit holes I used a drain wire cleaner (a long flexible cable wound circularly). I found it easier to start from the front of the sill.
Job done in 10 minutes.
Thank you all for your advice

Zbigmak

Post by Zbigmak »

GentlemenI have another question. Can anyone tell me where should the starter solenoid switch be located in the engine compartment?
George