Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

timing chain vibration damper

maiererb

timing chain vibration damper

Post by maiererb »

I am looking to get a timing chain vibration damper as the one in my engine has a crack. Obviously this part is not available and my question is: does anybody has this damper as a used part or does anybody has experiences by reproducing this damper with a 3D printer for example. Thanks for replies Jörg

fireboss

Re: timing chain vibration damper

Post by fireboss »

Jorg:

When my vibration damper or harmonic balancer needed replacement I had to send mine in to Manners who has them redone. This was 7 years ago but I doubt much has changed. I'd also try Barry Thorne by email.

Good luck, Bruce

Ian Hastings

Post by Ian Hastings »

I may be wrong but I think what Jorg was referring to was the timing chain tensioner.
These parts are readily available from the usual suppliers and in the past were fitted to many types of engine, mostly BMC.

maiererb

Post by maiererb »

Thanks for the answers. According to the original part catalog this part is called "Timing Chain Vibration Damper. It is made of plastic which is why I think about the possibility of a 3d print. But meanwhile a friend of mine said: don´t do this because this part is a highly stressed part.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

There's one for sale here.
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

maiererb

Post by maiererb »

Dear Vortex,
unfortunately it is not the Time Chain Tensioner but the Time Chain Vibration Damper which is a completely different part. But thanks for reply. Jörg

maiererb

Post by maiererb »

Dear Bruce, thanks for the info. I just sent a mail to Barry. KR Jörg

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

Small block Ford crank shaft vibration damper has the same inner diameter as the Daimler V8 if you want to upgrade. I am fitting an ATI super damper to my fast road engine. Only difference is the width of the key way and possibly the outer diameter of the hub.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

maiererb wrote: Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:05 pm Dear Vortex,
unfortunately it is not the Time Chain Tensioner but the Time Chain Vibration Damper which is a completely different part. But thanks for reply. Jörg
Sorry Jörg, I misunderstood your requirement. I guess what you are after is the item arrowed in the diagram below?
damper.jpg
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

maiererb

Post by maiererb »

Dear Nick, yes that’s the part I mean and meanwhile I got one. Thanks and KR Jörg