Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Daimler LQ 3-20 - tyre size - differential oil

Beat Weibel

Daimler LQ 3-20 - tyre size - differential oil

Post by Beat Weibel »

Hi Experts
I am about to recommission a prewar Daimler LQ 3-20. In that context I have two questions:

1. I am unsure about the original tyre size:
Mounted are 6.00/6.50/7.00x19. The spare wheel, however, is 6.00x19. The currently mounted tyres would not fit into the spare wheel space.
What is the original size of the tyres? I have thought 6.00/6.50x19?

2. Second question: The dip stick of the differential is missing and there is now "overflow". Does somebody know the volume to be filled into the differential? What oil should we take? E.g. Miller green gear 140?

Any advice is very much appreciated
Best regards
Beat

Stan Thomas
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Daimler LQ 3-20 - tyre size - differential oil

Post by Stan Thomas »

Be careful what oil you put in the diff, as some gear oils have E.P. addatives which will eat the phosphor bronze worm wheel quicker than my grandaughter can devour a curly-wurly!

The oil to use is Silkolene Rhino 140 which is especially blended for worm-drive axles.

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Hi Beat, I expect the tyre size will be in the Drivers Instruction Manual. Do you have a copy? If you don’t and you are a member of the DLOC, I would suggest you contact the Press and Publicity Director (contact details in the DM). He may be able to send you a digital copy. My Lanchester 15/18 takes about 800 ml of oil. I use Castrol D140. I believe the 15/18 and LQ have some similarities, but you need to find out for sure about your car. Have you tried the model register? All the best, Ranald

Beat Weibel

Post by Beat Weibel »

Dear all
Thanks for your replies. Yes, I have a manual but didn´t find the tyre size in it. I just have pictures of another LQ3-20 that show 6.00/6.50x19.
I also asked Kevin Bennett who has an LQ3.20 as well.
Best regards
Beat

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

Another club member but not a forum member has asked me to reply. He says .... earlier LQ20s were 5.50 x 19, and the later cars 6.00 x 19. The tyre pressures front and rear were 38psi.

The diff oil was as most (all?) of our cars at the time, Daimler Heavy Gear Oil, so 140 grade should be more than up to the task.

Beat Weibel

Post by Beat Weibel »

Got an answer from Kevin Bennett:
6.00x19 tyre size
Differential oil: 2 pints of SAE 140 gear oil non EP

Thanks to all for your advice.
Best regards
Beat

JedFurneaux

Post by JedFurneaux »

Hi Beat,
I have a 1934 LQ2/20. It has 6.50 x 19 tyres although I think 6.00 were original fitment.
Diff oil I use Castrol classic D140 but any good non additive 140 grade will do. I think some owners use liquid grease. I note what you say about your missing dipstick and I would urge you to be careful about over filling as a fair bit of internal pressure can build up with thick oil being churned and there is a danger in oil being forced past the seals into the brake drums. Better to slightly under fill and check often.
Great to hear of another LQ on the road, they are such rare beasts.
Best wishes,
Jeremy.

Beat Weibel

Post by Beat Weibel »

Thanks Jerremy.
I ordered 6.00x19 since the 6.50x19 are to fit into the spare wheel recess. There is much more choice for 6.50x19 but I found one dealer offering 6.00X19.
The size has also been confirmed by Kevn Bennett who was s kind to indicate that the differential needs 2 pints of non-EP SAE 140 oil.
Kind regards
Beat
Last edited by Beat Weibel on Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JedFurneaux

Post by JedFurneaux »

I think also that the smaller width tyres will help as the less rubber on the road the easier the steering will be.

ranald
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by ranald »

On the subject of tyres. If you haven’t done so already, it’s worth looking at Blockley tyres.https://www.blockleytyre.com/search
Period in style and seem to be highly regarded. i’m pleased with mine and really look the part on my 1933 car. All the best,Ranald