Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Jaguar engine numbers

Website Comments, instructions for REGISTERING and POSTING, Chat about anything
New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Jaguar engine numbers

Post by New Dexter »

Now I know that this is a Daimler forum but given the close links between Jaguar and Daimler i was wondering if anyone had better knowledge of Jaguar engine numbers.
I have a Jaguar 6 cylinder engine showing on the o/side as "Jaguar 3.8 litre". Just behind the carburettors is a number stamped into the block 20C12 but I can't se anything else. A search online revealed many numbers for those cars fitted with the 3.8 litre engine but none that match this engine. Someone has confirmed that it is not one for an E-type. Would anyone be able to shed some light please?

Rolf B.

Re: Jaguar engine numbers

Post by Rolf B. »

Indeed, this is no engine number for an Jaguar 6 cylinder XK engine for Jaguar cars, wheather for 2.4, 2.8, 3.4, 3.8 or 4.2 litre.

The only engine numbers which have a number instead a letter as prefix do have a "7" or a "8". So there's definitely no "20". Maybe it could be an engine for a military vehicle.

But there must be a second engine number, stamped into the cylinderhead in the sparkplug well between the two cam covers, right behind the timing chain chamber.

Rolf B.

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

Thank you. I have been into the garage and spent some more time using a wire brush to remove the paint from the block. The only number I have found is directly under the middle carburettor. There is a C. in the casting and then the stamped 20C12 and that's all I can find. If there had been a number on the cylinder head it has disappeared with time. I can make out one or two digits but not the complete number

Rolf B.

Post by Rolf B. »

The number you've found in the block is the casting mould number but not the engine number. This number is originally not stamped in but casted.

Attached you'll find two pictures to help finding, where the two numbers of the engine should be stamped in. First at the engine block, right behind the oilfilter and second at the cylinderhead. These two engine numbers have to match to show these two engine parts are belonging together.

Rolf B.
Attachments
XK Engine Number at engine block.JPG
XK engine number at cylinderhead.jpg
XK engine number at cylinderhead.jpg (8.22 KiB) Viewed 1868 times

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

Thank you indeed. I have been looking in the wrong place but have managed to establish that it's an engine from a 3.8 MK10. A ZA number

Rolf B.

Post by Rolf B. »

The following link shows most of the Jaguar 6 cylinder XK engine numbers until 1973:

http://www.jag-lovers.org/xk-lovers/lib ... gines.html

Rolf B.