Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

DB18-1 Headlights

Frankie&Ollie

DB18-1 Headlights

Post by Frankie&Ollie »

We've recently purchased a DB18-1 and noticed that the offside headlamp was out when on dipped beam, OK on main beam. Checking the bulb and then the wiring diagram, I see it only has one filament/feed so will only work on one setting!
Which should it be please, dipped or main?

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: DB18-1 Headlights

Post by Sydsmith »

Hi Frankie and Ollie

I see you are in the UK and for many years it has been the requirement that both headlights stay illuminated on both dip and main beam.

As the car has not required an MOT for some years I can only assume the previous owner/owners have not had to comply and therefore have got away with it.

The way forward is to obtain a duel filament bulb holder and add additional wires to illuminate the twin filament bulb.

Should be simple enough to run an additional cable from the other headlight dipped filament connection. Syd

qantasqf1

Post by qantasqf1 »

If the law is the same as here in Australia, then the car merely needs to conform to the original specification/configuration to pass the MoT test. Seat belts and 4 wheel brakes are good cases in point. As far as DB18 headlights are concerned, the original design was that the dipswitch operated both headlights when on full beam, but on dip both single filament headlight bulbs were extinguished and at the same time illuminated the pass light, which was a separate lamp (rather like a spotlight) fastened to the near side bumper support bracket. Lots of owners converted to modern 2 filament bulbs, which is a much better arrangement, a fairly straightforward job.
Steve

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Been the law in the UK since 1971 when it was made compulsory that both headlights should dip.

The old pass light system does not comply. Syd

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Hi Frankie and Ollie

Yes you still have the original set up and no idea how the car has been through an MOT since the 1970’s.
While I’m on, please sign up to www.DB18.org and let us know more about your car - the chassis number is particularly important. It may be that we have some history for it.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Frankie&Ollie

Post by Frankie&Ollie »

Thanks all for the replies, looks like I've got some wiring to do!
It was a barn find so hidden away for about 30 years so probably why it's got away with it thus far.

Will register with DB18.org

John-B
Site Admin

Post by John-B »

Remember that if you apply to have the car tax exempt you don't HAVE to change the dipping system, just don't drive at night and don't get an MOT.

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

My DB18 1 had the solenoid dip system where the hole interior dipped on one headlight. Quiet a system really.

New Dexter
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by New Dexter »

What about those vehicles such as DE models that have single filament headlamp P100s so that when the dip switch is operated the two bumper mounted lamps come on as "dip" beam and the P100s go out?

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

My DB18 2 has both headlights go out on dip and the 2 spotlights come on. I used to drive in the dark but was flashed by so many drivers when dipping I stopped driving at night.