Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Speed limiters for all new cars

Technical issues not related to a DLOC car marque, eg tyres, ethanol, other car makes, etc. and legal, political and insurance

Will mandatory speed limiters for all new cars be a good idea?

They will be a good idea.
45%
They won't be a good idea.
55%

Total votes: 11

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Re: Speed limiters for all new cars

Post by Phillmore »

NickDeAth wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:11 pm Call me cynical if you like, it'll never happen. The government can't afford to lose the huge volume of revenue from speeding fines, and the added drawback of all those people who process the fines and paperwork being made redundant.

Nick
I think there is more than a grain of truth in that.
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

Its an EU thing again and remember the Germans have no speed limits on motorways so wont be affected. I prefer to be master of my own car. My sat nav alarm does the speed very accurately, it is down to the driver to behave sensibly, drink driving is I believe a bigger problem.

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

It could be exactly the type of thing to be enforced. Firstly it’s the sort of thing that MP”s like to back and then tell everyone what a splendid job they are doing. Secondly it’s the sort of thing that government can easily use statistics to prove how effective it is and so appear to have done the right thing and boast about it. Thirdly the claims of cost savings and authority time savings would be made after a trial was carried out.
Maybe it’s me that is the cynical one. That said I hate to see time and money wasted on the wrong cure for a problem.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

Barmy idea.
For a start there will be no cars sold the first year after introduction and the industry can't tolerate that (a bonanza leading up to it though!)
Secondly, I as I understand it cameras will read the speed limit signs and adjust the speed of the car - there are so many missing signs and so dirty as to be unreadable so that won't work.
Thirdly (and most powerfully) any government IT project (which it is) always fail to work as they imagined.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Petelang
Helpful Person
Helpful Person

Post by Petelang »

Any good sat nav already recognises speed limits but the way our councils keep changing them will entail every user to continuously update them. One of our major problems in Nottingham is deteriorating air quality and this is due to congestion and quite frankly no serious proper thinking on traffic flows. Constantly reducing speed limits will worsen this. The idea is reasonable to me as there are an incredible number who don't adhere to speed limits (often, even where there are known cameras: how do they get away with it?)).
I suppose it's another way to extract fees from software licencing.
Peter
Peter Langridge
Cloud Nine Classic Weddings, Nottingham.

John Hitchins
Site Admin

Post by John Hitchins »

Also the recent Boeing 737 crashes apparently appear to be software problems with a new design of level control. It is much safer to be in sole control of our cars.

Phillmore
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Phillmore »

John Hitchins wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:21 pm Also the recent Boeing 737 crashes apparently appear to be software problems with a new design of level control. It is much safer to be in sole control of our cars.
At least we don't need anti stall software with our fluid flywheels! :D
Andy

1954 Conquest Mk1, 1956 Conquest Mk2, 1957 Conquest Century Mk2, 1955 Austin A90 Westminster