Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

Gearbox Conversion Dart

Rainer

Gearbox Conversion Dart

Post by Rainer »

Hello,
I might do a conversion to a Ford T9 5-speed box and have already got a bellhousing that still needs a little work on it. As my Dart is not dismantled yet: Can anybody please let me know regarding the Dart gearbox how much the the input shaft protrudes out out the bellhousing and also the diameter of the input shaft at the very front where it goes into the crankshaft(bearing)?
Thanks a lot for any information!
Rainer
Attachments
New Bellhousing
New Bellhousing

Feathers

Re: Gearbox Conversion Dart

Post by Feathers »

Hello

I have a micrometer that is in inches. The shaft is 15/16th” in diameter, the last ¼" of that is tapered and the very end is 25/32nds”. It is sticking past the bellhousing 5/8”.
Its out of the car and not going in for a wile. Let me know if you need anything else.

Regards
John

Sonus

Post by Sonus »

Rainer wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2019 1:14 pm Hello,
I might do a conversion to a Ford T9 5-speed box and have already got a bellhousing that still needs a little work on it. As my Dart is not dismantled yet: Can anybody please let me know regarding the Dart gearbox how much the the input shaft protrudes out out the bellhousing and also the diameter of the input shaft at the very front where it goes into the crankshaft(bearing)?
Thanks a lot for any information!
Rainer
I’ve got the exact same bellhousing that I am using to fit my BorgWarner T5 gearbox. Have you decided how to make the bolt and pilot holes on the engine side? And how did you go about making sure the the gearbox is centered correctly in the bellhousing?

I have had mine machined flat on both sides so that it is 100% parallel as both faces where a bit wonky. I am still undecided how to go about finding the center for the input shaft. I am using a saloon flywheel that just fits inside the bellhousing.

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

Ideally a drawing would be used and all the machining done on something like a vertical milling machine or radial drill used. It would then all be relevant to the centre line of the input shaft to both backplate and gearbox.
Without drawings then the measurements could be picked up using a plain piece of bar in the crankshaft and then measuring to the holes in the backplate.
You could measure the engine dowel holes to the centre of the crank and then drill those in the bell housing. Then clamp the backplate to the bell housing using the dowels and use that as a drilling template. You would need a dolly of some kind though to centralise the back of the bell housing for the gearbox input shaft. That or use the dimensions from the dowel pins to centre drill the bell housing and then machine out to suite the gearbox flange and boot holes.
Food for thought.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

A.N.Other
Wide Man
Wide Man

Post by A.N.Other »

If memory serves me well the backplate centre clearance hole is flame cut or similar so cannot be used for reference. Small amount of misalignment of the gearbox will cause component wear and problems in no time at all.
Colin,
I may be slow but I’m rough as well !

peterbee

Post by peterbee »

I have just finished installing a Tremec T5 in my SP250. The part number is 1352- 0251. I have a copy of a dimensioned drawing to connect the bellhousing to the gearbox. For the connection of bellhousing to backplate the dimensions were taken from an original SP250 gearbox. However, whatever you do everything has to be relative to the crankshaft/input shaft centre line.

Rainer

Post by Rainer »

John, thanks for the information. The bellhousing I have comes from Dellow Conversions. It is originally intended for the Borg Warner T5 box but modified to take the Ford T9. So alignment between engine and gearbox was done by Dellow in that they shaped the hole at the rear of the bellhousing in the correct diameter to go onto the T9 box. For the T9 box input shafts of different lengths are available. I will use a short one and therefore have to mill down the end of the bellhousing to get the input shaft sticking past the bellhousing the right amount (13-16 mm). I am going for the Ford T9 as parts and various ratios are available and it is also smaller than the T5. A modification necessary on the T9 is that the gear lever has to be moved forwards.