Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

SP250 Brakes Double Pump

daimlernorm

SP250 Brakes Double Pump

Post by daimlernorm »

I have recently completed the refurbishment of my Brake Callipers & Brake Master Cylinder, however
when driving the Dart I notice when you press the brake pedal it goes down quite a way but if you lift your foot and brake again brake pedal is solid so not sure why.....
I have bled the brakes a few times without any change.
I am thinking maybe a fault in one of the brake hoses, has any member thoughts or anyone else experienced this braking problem.

Cheers

Norm

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Re: SP250 Brakes Double Pump

Post by Sydsmith »

Ah Ha! the ubiquitous SP250 double pump. Norm this was discussed in depth several times on the old forum with several theories and solutions suggested over the years. Sadly it is a feature of the system and it is sirprising how quickly you get used to a double pump when on the road.

There are solutions but most involve changing the master cylinder and slave cylinder.

One thing that makes it worse is incorrectly set up wheel bearings and incorrect positioning of the calipers especially on the front, it is essential to set them both up as per the manual.

Go into the old forum and search SP250 foot brake double pump.

Hope that helps Syd

Post by #100910 »

wejxf03

Post by wejxf03 »

I had the double pump on my Dart until I carefully set up the brake calipers to be absolutely parallel using shims between the hub and caliper.
Worked perfectly after that.
John Foskett
Kent UK
SP250 B spec.

Vortex O'Plinth
Extra-Wise Man
Extra-Wise Man

Post by Vortex O'Plinth »

wejxf03 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:55 pm I had the double pump on my Dart until I carefully set up the brake calipers to be absolutely parallel using shims between the hub and caliper.
Just out of interest, what were they parallel to?
Nick

"Don't bother with the Air & Space Museum - there's nothing to see.......".

Ian Slade
Wise Man
Wise Man

Post by Ian Slade »

The only time you would need a double pump on the road is if there is something wrong with the bearings, rear axle or caliper alignment, competition possibly as more torque is applied to the rear axle causing the axle tubes to distort and the disc becomes misaligned with the caliper. I fitted new rear axles to both my cars at the same time, a club special order in 1971 and never had the problem again either on the road or in competition., for some reason it has been accepted as a standard feature, it isn't.
Owner since the 70's, Genghis is slightly to my left.

wejxf03

Post by wejxf03 »

Vortex O'Plinth wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:03 pm
wejxf03 wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:55 pm I had the double pump on my Dart until I carefully set up the brake calipers to be absolutely parallel using shims between the hub and caliper.
Just out of interest, what were they parallel to?
Pads parallel to discs
John Foskett
Kent UK
SP250 B spec.