Please visit the Club's website https://www.dloc.org.uk/ to join. Visit https://www.dloc.org.uk/adhoc to DONATE towards the cost of the forum.
Please don't post someone's email address to avoid it being harvested by spambots and it's against GDPR regulations.
Always look at "ACTIVE TOPICS" to see all posts in date & time order as they are sometimes moved; or look at "Your Posts".
Please add Reg. nrs. when posting a photo or anything about a car as this will help searches. Don't add punctuation next to nr. as this negates search.
CHANGED YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS since registering?, click your username and check your address in User Control Panel, Profile, Account Settings.
If you want help to register, use "contact us" at page bottom for help.

250 v8 rear hub removal (i hope)

wadams

Re: 250 v8 rear hub removal (i hope)

Post by wadams »

Hi Guitarman
If you live nearby you are welcome to borrow it. I live in South Wales.

guitarman1951

Post by guitarman1951 »

Hi Wadhams, thanks for the kind offer, I live near Durham, but I have a few irons in the fire.

guitarman1951

Post by guitarman1951 »

Well the battle with the rear hub is finally won, thanks to the big puller in the picture. It took a six foot scaffolding pole to put the maximum tension on it, then rhythmic heavy tapping with a hammer and bingo.
P4140579.JPG
. Thanks again for all the input and help

buckfield

Post by buckfield »

Hi, Good news from you, that puller you have is a nice bit of kit, certainly more solid than my converted 15" jag wheel tool. well done on your success. change the retainer and seal while the Hub is off. ton

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Well done, it was never going to be an easy task. Whilst on the subject is there a crafty way of making them come off easier next time. Syd

guitarman1951

Post by guitarman1951 »

Well Syd,
Im afraid there is no magic trick to getting these stubborn rear hubs off. The Churchill tool is "The Answer".

grahamemmett
Chief Geek
Chief Geek

Post by grahamemmett »

What is that tool? Did you hire or buy it?
Last edited by grahamemmett on Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
Graham Emmett ¦ DLOC Chairman ¦ chair@dloc.co.uk ¦ 07967 109160
Northwich, Cheshire
DB18 1949 LCV522 (Yes that one with the P100s)

Sydsmith
Extremely Wise Man
Extremely Wise Man

Post by Sydsmith »

Brian, Thanks for the response but I was wondering if any of the old Sages amongst us had found a magic way when reassembling to help in removing them at a later date, for example does a liberal application of something like copper slip help?

When I did my SP250, I did just that, slapped copper slip on liberally, but wondered if I had wasted my time and will have to struggle again if the dreaded things have to come off again. Syd

guitarman1951

Post by guitarman1951 »

Hi Graham,
The wonderful tool is a copy of the original Churchill JD-1 tool, "Martin Robey Ltd "has them listed part no. 204-011 ---- £254.17. I am trying to get one made!. regards Brian

guitarman1951

Post by guitarman1951 »

Hi Syd,
Have not got round to reassembling the rear hub, as the Splash plate is rotten, so I'm looking for a similar one on a modern day
car to adapt. So far a Ford focus and a Vauxhall Zafira are looking as if they could be adapted. When I reassemble i will coat the shaft with good old copper grease, because with the wire wheel hubs , instead of the solid wheel hubs, its a different puller to get these off!